Thread: Troll Tamer

Troll Tamer

Anyone using a troll tamer by TH-marine with the ultrex on their phoenix? Their only seems to be options for the Fortrex. Does anyone know if the same for fortrex would work on the ultrex?

Quote Originally Posted by Rlaurent331 View Post
    Anyone using a troll tamer by TH-marine with the ultrex on their phoenix? Their only seems to be options for the Fortrex. Does anyone know if the same for fortrex would work on the ultrex?
    It should work yes - if you take a look at Randall Tharp's boat he is running one on is Ultrex. Its the kind that mounts to the silver brace. There is a thread on here about a longer version made before the TH Marine buyout of RMC that screws into the bounce buster. Looks great but I can't find one.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

3. Banned
    Ultrex comes with a kickstand and has a built in lock you have to pull the cable to release.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjoldersma View Post
    Ultrex comes with a kickstand and has a built in lock you have to pull the cable to release.
    The lock doesn't prevent all movement - you still have up and down play which can wearing the pivots. The Troll tamer eliminates all movement. I'm still undecided about putting one on but they are a nice product when you are in a lot of rough water.

Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    The lock doesn't prevent all movement - you still have up and down play which can wearing the pivots. The Troll tamer eliminates all movement. I'm still undecided about putting one on but they are a nice product when you are in a lot of rough water.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

6. Member
    I purchased one for my 920 but unfortunately due to the angle of the trolling motor, I couldn't use it. I would need to re-adjust the angle of how the trolling motor is mounted.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    Your right, when Im standing on the deck and pull up on my trolling motor I can ALMOST pull it up enough to get some fishing line wrapped around my post out from under it..... But not quite. So yes it does have some play but not enough to even get the post off the padded deck to slip some line under it. And its very firm since the SHAFT of the tm is loading against that lock.

If youve got more slop than that then you simply need to adj your kick stand that came with the ultrex making it longer until the locking mechanisme will just latch. If I quietly set my motor down after lifting it my latch does not latch, I have to give it a little push down or let it drop from a few inches up in order to compress the pad on the deck enough to let it latch.

It’s not so much the amount of movement, but rather when moving upwards the bounce buster has nothing above it to hit so there it’s the bracket that is acting as the stop. I’m not saying it’s necessary but I think it does do a better job of preventing any movement of the unit. Also that bounce buster always seems to move on me no matter how I tighten it down.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassHog007 View Post
    I purchased one for my 920 but unfortunately due to the angle of the trolling motor, I couldn't use it. I would need to re-adjust the angle of how the trolling motor is mounted.
    Which trolling motor do you have?

10. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    The newer style troll tamers will bump your top cap, or come real close to it, due to the angle of the TM mount. The old original design was much better, simply screwed into where the bounce buster rod goes. Im fortunate enough to have the original on my Ultrex. It also is rock solid with no slop at all.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    The newer style troll tamers will bump your top cap, or come real close to it, due to the angle of the TM mount. The old original design was much better, simply screwed into where the bounce buster rod goes. Im fortunate enough to have the original on my Ultrex. It also is rock solid with no slop at all.
    Do you have a part number or something on the older style. Maybe ill be able to locate one....hopefully. So how does the newer style attach to the ultra that is any different? I imagine it doesn't screw into the bounce buster spot? I was hoping to get one and maybe it would work but apparently it won't?

12. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlaurent331 View Post
    Do you have a part number or something on the older style. Maybe ill be able to locate one....hopefully. So how does the newer style attach to the ultra that is any different? I imagine it doesn't screw into the bounce buster spot? I was hoping to get one and maybe it would work but apparently it won't?
    Sorry, I don't have that part number. And you are correct, the new ones don't screw into bounce buster. They have a different type of mount attachment to the TM.
    I believe the 1st pic is the new mount for Fortrex/Ultrex.
    https://www.fishntech.com/th_marine_troll-tamer.html

This is how mine is. So you can see the new mount on mine would hit top cap.

Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjoldersma View Post
    Your right, when Im standing on the deck and pull up on my trolling motor I can ALMOST pull it up enough to get some fishing line wrapped around my post out from under it..... But not quite. So yes it does have some play but not enough to even get the post off the padded deck to slip some line under it. And its very firm since the SHAFT of the tm is loading against that lock.

If youve got more slop than that then you simply need to adj your kick stand that came with the ultrex making it longer until the locking mechanisme will just latch. If I quietly set my motor down after lifting it my latch does not latch, I have to give it a little push down or let it drop from a few inches up in order to compress the pad on the deck enough to let it latch.
    This is the same way I run mine. I have to step on the mount just a tad sometimes to get it to unlock. BUT, if you hit a wave hard enough it will destroy the mount. That troll tamer will eliminate that. I've yet to break a trolling motor mount but I've bent shafts because the motor bounced (not strapped down) and broke depth finder mounts. Most of that was just before I really learned to drive but it still could happen

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    This is the same way I run mine. I have to step on the mount just a tad sometimes to get it to unlock. BUT, if you hit a wave hard enough it will destroy the mount. That troll tamer will eliminate that. I've yet to break a trolling motor mount but I've bent shafts because the motor bounced (not strapped down) and broke depth finder mounts. Most of that was just before I really learned to drive but it still could happen

I removed the strap I have never used it.

Ive had my boat in the air on big waves plenty of times. The only issue is the console screws always coming out.

Ultrex has a