Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdmymerc View Post
    If there was a school near by that I could get "certified" I would be all over it. I am having so much fun learning all this stuff but sometimes it gets a bit frustrating not knowing the most logical trouble shooting procedures to track down problems. I am starting to look for sources for information on 2 stroke theory so I can better understand the whole process. I thought that might help me in my trouble shooting if I better understand how these things are supposed to work. My brand new Mercury shop manual looks like its 30 years old because I have been all over it for months. I took the boat out today and it started right up on the first crank. I put about another 30 or 40 minutes of the break in time on it and then fished for about an hour. When I tried to start it again it would not go. I decided to fish for a few more minutes and tried it again and it started right up again. Then it started every time for the rest of the day. I still don't have the idle set perfect yet.....will keep working on it until I get it right.
    I've got a BIG bin of VHS materials that you might like... give me a holler sometime.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank you "drew" for the kind words. It has been quite the project. Those last few days before I pulled the heads off I was also starting to think that I might be in over my head. As soon as I saw the pistons on the wrong side, it actually gave me a big boost of confidence. After getting our power head back, we had it running in no time flat. I have learned so much and I'm eager to learn more. I can't thank Don and Joe and the other guys that have mentored me through this project enough. Don is always so gracious to help.....its just amazing.

Don......you have a PM

Ok guys, it has been several months now since I posted an update on my motor project. A couple of weeks ago we finally finished the break in procedure required by our remanufactured powerhead dealer. We still have a couple of tanks of premixed gas to run through but we have verified that the oil injection system is supplying oil to the engine at the correct ratio. At this point the motor starts and idles perfectly. Water pressure is good. Fuel pressure is good. Hole shot is excellent and the mid-range excelleration is very strong and responsive. Honestly the top end is a little scarey. Before rebuild the owner said, with him in the boat by his self he could run almost 66mph on gps. Last time I took it out by myself I got it up to 68.9mph and got scared and backed out of it. He has a 12" manual jack plate on it so the "lift" I experienced was somewhat unexpected. It started to chine walk a little bit which I am not used to at all. I'll have to do some practicing to learn to drive through it. I am very pleased with the performance we have experienced so far. We have had 8 basically trouble free trips in it now. The only negative at this point is that some times when you shift it in to reverse it will die. It always starts right back up but its a little bit annoying. Is there an adjustment in the throttle linkage somewhere so you can turn the throttle up a little more when it is shifted in reverse? That's where we are at this point. We may send the ECU to Simon Motor Sports this winter to have it reflashed, or whatever they do to it. Anyway, thanks to everbody that helped and encouraged me along the way. This has been quite the learning experience.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check idle speed- adjusted with the screw on the UPPER throttle blade/shaft (hidden between intake and VST).

Be careful not to get it too high as it can cause gearcase damage.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Hey Don.....I'll try to bump it up just a little more, but the forward idle is so close to perfect I hate to mess with it. As always, thank you for your input. I appreciate all the help you have given me along the way.....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234