Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Mercury 175 XRi Serial #0G258384

Hey Don,

I have this motor rebuilt now but I am having trouble getting it to idle correctly. If I bump the throttle forward just a little it starts right up but I can not get it to start or to idle in the straight up position. I have followed the "Adjustments" procedures in the Mercury shop manual but it still won't idle. Also, I messed with the idle speed screw and now its sounds more like a sewing machine than an outboard motor.....Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    luvdmymerc

2. Member
    You rebuild it or somebody else? If somebody else you should contact them. Could be something as simple as a loose wire or vacuum leak somewhere.

We bought a new power head to put on it. I rebuilt the fuel injection system and the oil injection system and put all the peripheral items back on it. Just trying to get the idle dialed in so I don't have to push the throttle forward in order to start it. And so I can shift smoothly into forward.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Set throttle cable and stop for dead-in-middle of roller shaft.

Set roller clearance.

Verify Timing Pointer position.

Set idle timing at 4 ATDC.

Set TPS dead-on spec (or center of spec range).

Start it and run... until warm.

In gear, set idle speed to 650 RPM's (using the throttle plate adjustment screw that's hidden behind the VST).

Then see how it wants to run/start for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Will do that right now....will get back to you this evening...Thank you sir.....

Hey Don.....Ok....I have the cable adjusted, and the roller and the cam lined up perfectly. Roller is lightly touching the cam per manual. Timing pointer is dead on using Jay Smith's dial indicator, static idle timing set at 4* ATDC. I set the TPS at .250, (specs call for .240-.260.) I noticed at full throttle I only had 6.76. The manual says maximum should be 7.46. I am unable to do an on the water test today. It starts now but immediately dies unless you goose the throttle a little bit. It still won't idle with the throttle in the straight up position. I noticed also that the motor was staying too cool. I ran it for a full 20 minutes and it never warmed up but started peeing immediately. I just put in brand new thermostats....could they be bad ?.....or could my garden hose / ear muff combo be forcing too much water through it. As always, thanks a ton for your input....I highly value your time and expertise.

luvdmymerc

7. Member
    Don't think you can set idle speed on ear muffs, believe it needs a load. Seems like mine runs around 900rpm or so on muff's and 650rpm in the water. Also should not start peeing until warmed up unless you have high enough water pressure to force the t'stats open, not sure if installing them backwards would allow flow instantly.

You can't set your final idle speed in the driveway but...my problem is that it is not idling at any speed without bumping up the throttle. I should be able to set the idle in the driveway... so that it will idle in the driveway without having to throttle forward. The back pressure will probably knock it down when you get on the water so you'll have to kick it up some to compensate. That's what the final adjustment on the water is for. Also, I have the 143* thermostats installed so they should have let the water temperature come up to that temperature before it started peeing. I thought maybe I had the water pressure on the hose set too high so it was backing up through the dump circuit or something crazy like that. I pulled one of the thermostats and it was closed. The motor barely got to 113*. And that was the "hot" side.....(thermostats won't fit backwards in the housing by the way) If there is a mistake to be made however....I have probably already done it at least once. Thanks for the input.

9. Member
    When you set your TPS did you remember to unhook the port head temp sensor? (very important) Also you might need to adjust your wide open throttle stop if you moved the roller attached to the butterflies. That could also be where your not coming up to 7.46 volts at WOT. Does this motor still have the idle speed controller hooked up? If so unhook it and throw it in the trash and try it again.
    If all of that checks out and it still want idle take a timing light and make sure all 6 cylinders are firing at idle. If your good there see if you can borrow another known good ecu and try it again.
    Last edited by Matt Wayne; 02-09-2018 at 06:55 AM.

Idle stabilizer and advance modules are gone. Yes I disconnected the temp gauge leads. Will check the full throttle setting on Sunday afternoon......or maybe tonight with a flashlight. Thanks again for the input....

We had a big ice storm over the weekend so I did not get to mess with the motor any more until this morning. I pulled the cowl off and noticed that the throttle plates were just barely short of horizontal. I had them flat once and then backed them off so that I wouldn't put the linkage in a bind. I guess when I tightened the jam nut I let them drift back down a little bit too much. Tomorrow I plan to go back through the link & sink procedures to make sure they are right on the dot. Thanks again guys for the input. I am hoping the new adjustment on the throttle plates makes the difference. I'll let ya'll know.

That was it....I opened the throttle plates to horizontal along with redoing ALL the link n sinc steps and now it will start and idle with the throttle standing straight up. Thanks guys for your help.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Note to self......"go easy on that throttle plate adjustment screw".....just sayin'.

15. Member
    How about the temp problem? Is coming up to temp now?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

It ran a little warmer in the lake than it did it the driveway. But... now I have the same problem at the lake now. It won't start or idle without goosing the throttle up just a little....It would die before I could get it to go into gear.....what am I missing....??

17. Member
    have all sensors tested might seek pro help
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unplug the air temp sensor and see if it becomes "happy". Have seen a RASH of them with WAY off the wall values, lately.

Ok guys.....file this one under "Ripley's Believe it or Not"....I have done everything by the book trying to get this motor to idle correctly. After all I have checked, rechecked, rebuilt and adjusted it should be humming along like a new one and we should have been fishing for the last 4-5 months. Today I decided just for grins I would crack open the heads and take a look see. I pop the starboard head open first and see "UP PORT" stamped on top of #1 piston.......Say what.....Yep! All the pistons on the starboard side say port......So I cracked open the other side.......you guessed it, "UP STAR" . Are you freaking kidding me. We bought a rebuilt power head from my favorite machine shop so I could give my buddy a year warranty. I guess I should have gone ahead and built one myself. Oh well......back to square one. I have a weeks vacation coming up at the end of the month. I guess I know what I'll be doing.....

20. Member
    I believe, ive seen um mixed every way you can mix um ive seen std pistons in 0.30 holes few years back seen some aftr market pissons marked wrong P&S,just think how good itll run when you get all their mess straightened out
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast