Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I stood staring at it in disbelief for several minutes. I've had it idling pretty good in the driveway.....how does it even run? The tops of the pistons were all clean and shiny.....does that mean they have been firing under the piston instead of on top it?? What does that do to the rest of the block?

What tipped me off was how clean and shiny the pistons were. Usually when you're running double oil they carbon up a little. Then I noticed the labeling....Oh my gosh!!

3. Member
    That is nuts, maybe explains the temp problem too. If they were not firing and burning correctly they probably were not producing enough heat too bring motor to temp.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

I guess Sunday afternoon after church I'll start pulling all the peripheral items back off and get the block ready to go back to the shop. Its about 60 or 70 miles away so the guy said he would come up and get it. Human error is a part of life. At least I already have some time off planned. I can't even tell you how anxious I am to get this thing done. I guess the Lord decided I needed another lesson on patience.....After all this I don't want to get in a hurry and botch it up now. Time to just take a big deep breath and start again. Thanks for the input.

5. Banned
    Ok here is my learn something new today moment.... a piston is a piston what difference does it make what cylinder it is in?

In a 2-stroke outboard motor there are "lefts and rights"..... They are not interchangeable....

See how the skirt is slotted .....in pairs so to speak.
    Last edited by luvdmymerc; 03-13-2018 at 10:50 AM.

7. Banned
    I knew about the ports in the cylinder wall not the piston. See learned something new. I'm going to do some research to understand what a cut in skirt does.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That picture hurt to look at.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Don, you can't even imagine what went through my head when I realized what I was looking at. I did't know whether to throw a fit or dance a jig. I think I wound up doing both. Its back at the shop now being reworked. I'll let you know how it turns out.

10. Member
    it really makes me wonder how a engine builder would not have caught that,unreal

The guy that runs the shop said he got way far behind and had to hire some help. The guy he hired "over sold" himself and what his skill level was. Its a hard lesson to learn, but better to find out now instead of later on down the road with even more problems coming back...

12. Member
    i guess i would be wanting to know who was going to it next time or maybe just do it yourself,was it bored,seems like you have a real good knowledge of it and have a done alot of work yourself

This is just my 7th rebuild so I am still a rank amateur compared to most of the guys on here that work on motors. I do know that I absolutely LOVE it.....I wish I would have taken it up 40 years ago. We didn't have to bore it out. Its just a stock 2.5 power head. We put the fiber reeds in it and cut the heads for a compression boost. Once we get it going, we'll see how it runs and then decide what else we might want to do with it. Most of all we want a reliable motor that will give us years and years of fishing time on the water....

This morning at 9:30 I got the power head back from the shop. I had some errands to run so I didn't get start rebuilding until about 11am. I got everything on it except the electrical stuff and got about half way thru it. Hopefully I'll have it running on muff by late tomorrow afternoon. Will keep ya'll posted.

Last edited by luvdmymerc; 03-23-2018 at 09:43 PM.

15. Member
    looking good

I got the rest of the motor assembled today, set the timing, did the sync & link and it started and idled perfectly with one turn of the key. Unbelievable.......sweet feeling I can't even describe......

17. Member
    you felt the satisfaction I feel every day,man told me one time those that enjoy their job will accell at it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I'm getting too old to start all over again, but I sure wish I had learned how much fun this was 40 years ago......

19. Member
    the part I don't like is telling someone how ex$$$$$$$$$ive it is to repair their engine
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I know what you mean. Even doing all yourself its still expensive......I told my buddy Ron, "if it has 'boat' or 'fun' written on it somewhere, there gonna stick it to ya."......you gotta pay to play!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast