Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    you felt the satisfaction I feel every day,man told me one time those that enjoy their job will accell at it
    So true! People that love their jobs don't ever really retire...don't need to.The feeling of doing a good job is it's own reward. Lot of people don't understand this. Money doesn't necessarily always come first.

Got to take the boat out today for the first time after getting the motor back together. It was idling about 200rpm's too high so i turned it down just a little. We got just about 1/3 of the way through the break in procedure. Very pleased with the way it performed. Its amazing how much better they run with pistons installed on the correct side.....

3. Member
    I know that's right ^^^^^^^^
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

OK Don.....I am still trying to fine tune the set up on this motor. On page 2C-12 in the Mercury shop manual it says to set the "idle timing", and then the "idle adjustment". I am not sure I understand the procedure. I have tried this twice now, thought I had it perfect, but then my set up appears to "drift". I, of course, do not have a test tank so I either have to tie it to the dock, very firmly, or have someone else drive while I sit with my feet in the splash well and try to adjust it on the fly. My question is, what does it mean when it says in the idle timing section, bullet point #4 "to attain appropriate setting"? Do I hook my timing light back up to #1 and shoot it to make sure I'm still on 4*ATDC? And then bring the rpm's up the the "air valve"? That's the way I interpret it. I've tried this a couple times and have messed up my primary pick up timing so that it won't restart after I shut it off. Please help.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    -Verify timing pointer. Most important step.

-Set idle timing to 4 ATDC

-Verify TPS Setting (engine hot, port temp sensor unplugged)

-Adjust idle speed, IN FORWARD, IN THE WATER, using the stop screw on the upper throttle plate.

-650 RPM's is your target (IN FORWARD, IN THE WATER).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks Don.....

Don....I made all the adjustments you recommended and the motor starts right up and idles perfect in the driveway. Have not had a chance to do the final, on the water, idle speed adjustment with the upper throttle plate screw yet. I'm looking forward to doing that in the next few days. But.....just as I was setting the top bucket of the cowl back on, I noticed the square brass nipple fitting, where the larger vacuum line hooks to the induction manifold, was spewing fuel every few seconds. There is about a 1/16 diameter hole drilled in the side of that brass fitting and it spews fuel every so often. What do I need to do? I just bought me a fuel pressure test guage to see if I'm building up too much pressure......will let you know.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Needle/Seat or Float problem in VST (VST is flooding).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Dang it.....that's what I was afraid of. I saw the instructions in the manual how to rebuild it.....look for a PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Needle/Seat or Float problem in VST (VST is flooding).
    knew that was comming
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Really......how did you know?

12. Member
    just what I do,just what I do, that's a tell tale sign of to much fuel in vapor seperator

Does the float just get saturated with fuel like the old carb floats do? I have switched those out before but I have never torn into a VST before. This EFI motor has been a real learning experience.....its been a pain in the butt and FUN to learn on all at the same time. Do you know if they make a rebuild kit for it like they do the carbs....?

14. Member
    have seen a few floats saturate rare though,would suggest new needle, seat is pressed in don't sell it, be sure get new o ring for top of vst, you can usually tell if float is full just by fuel sloshing linside, mabe just trash in needle erea or sticking [see ya] JOE

Well.....that was fun. Pulled the VST and put a new needle and float in. No more fuel coming out the overflow....woo-hoo...Will take it back to the lake tomorrow.....

16. Member
    youre almost certified [almost]

If there was a school near by that I could get "certified" I would be all over it. I am having so much fun learning all this stuff but sometimes it gets a bit frustrating not knowing the most logical trouble shooting procedures to track down problems. I am starting to look for sources for information on 2 stroke theory so I can better understand the whole process. I thought that might help me in my trouble shooting if I better understand how these things are supposed to work. My brand new Mercury shop manual looks like its 30 years old because I have been all over it for months. I took the boat out today and it started right up on the first crank. I put about another 30 or 40 minutes of the break in time on it and then fished for about an hour. When I tried to start it again it would not go. I decided to fish for a few more minutes and tried it again and it started right up again. Then it started every time for the rest of the day. I still don't have the idle set perfect yet.....will keep working on it until I get it right.
    Last edited by luvdmymerc; 05-17-2018 at 10:11 PM.

After all these months I believe we have this motor dialed in pretty close to perfect. Took it to the lake today and it performed flawlessly. Started first crank without having to advance the throttle and started everytime, all day. It idled in gear right at 675rpm's and close to 800 in neutral. We were able to launch and load without the motor dying. We have not completed the recommended break in procedure yet but at this point we are very pleased at the progress we have made. Will keep you posted.

19. Member
    good deal

I have loved reading this thread over the last several months. I'm not gonna lie, when it first started I was convinced you were in over your head and were about to learn a very expensive lesson. So, so glad I was wrong! What an awesome story of perseverance. I wish I had that level of determination! Hopefully this isn't counting chickens, but congrats on a job well done!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast