Banned

Sport Master vs Nose Cone

I gotta question... probably age old. Sporty case or a Bob's coned lower faster on a 20x boat with a 3.0 liter? 250XS to be specific. Better speed, handling, etc?

2. Member
    I drove a 20 XD for a long time with a coned torque master that was great. The guy that shaped the cone angles and did the work did a excellent job with it. I blew that lower over time and replaced with a sport. Both are good driving and handling but in my case I liked the coned lower better. It just seemed to carry the boat better. I bet they are all a little different acting depending on who puts the cone on and does the filler work.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

3. Member
    I researched this hard before getting a sporty for my 1999 20xd with 250 pro xs. Nose cone is the cheaper option for sure but I was told that I would require such a high pitched prop with the gearing of a torque master 1.75:1 versus a sporty 1.62:1. What I am getting at is with a 1.62 you are far more likely to find a used prop or actually test a fellow members prop before buying a new one. I have the added bonus of keeping a torque master if I ever decide to get a 21 footer or if the sporty needs work.

4. Kllr bee
    I had a coned torquemaster that was 1.5 mph faster than a sportmaster on my old Bumble Bee. It handled better also.
    Richard