Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

swim jig/chatterbait trailer question

Other than somethng like a keitech or other swimbait, what do you all use as a trailer for a swimbait or chatterbait?

2. Member
    Peca craw or Fluke
    Red Sox in 6!

3. Member
    I will sometimes use a Zoom Speed Craw or something with less action like a fluke

The old twin tail spinnerbait trailers work extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    The old twin tail spinnerbait trailers work extremely well.
    THIS^^^. I use a Zoom Split Tail Trailer about 90% of the time. I want my vibrating jigs to "hunt." Using a paddle tail swim bait or a trailer with two appendages acts to stabilize the bait and keep it from "hunting."

This is normal speed:

This is slow motion:

#1 is a bait that basically comes back straight. #2 is a bait that "hunts" very well. #3 "hunts" moderately well.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

For swim jigs I've been on grubs 99% on the time and have had a ton of success with that. I typed out a bunch on that in that thread, so I won't rehash it here.

For chatterbaits, I really like something that does very little on it's own. I've thrown them with boot tail swimbaits and the like and completely agree with what Mr Hahn suggests. It really seems like the action of the trailer will counteract the action of the blade. Instead I like the twin tails as was mentioned, a fluke, or my new favorite - the Z-man Razor ShadZ. It is very similar to a Yamamoto Zako except basically indestructible since it's made out of Elaztech. Incredible action on a chatterbait that works with the vibration of the blade. Put a dab of super glue on the hook shank, slide it on, and it'll outlast the rest of the bait. Has a very nice broad profile that I think mimics the shape of a panfish far better than other trailers, and panfish are the primary forage here in MN.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    Best i have found is either your keitech swimbaits or the Strike King Rage Menace, fits on there perfectly with just the right amount hanging out the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    THIS^^^. I use a Zoom Split Tail Trailer about 90% of the time. I want my vibrating jigs to "hunt." Using a paddle tail swim bait or a trailer with two appendages acts to stabilize the bait and keep it from "hunting."

#1 is a bait that basically comes back straight. #2 is a bait that "hunts" very well. #3 "hunts" moderately well.
    Cool videos. What is the difference between bait 1, 2, and 3? They all appear to have the same trailer.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
    Cool videos. What is the difference between bait 1, 2, and 3? They all appear to have the same trailer.

I don't do much with swimjigs per say but I do like to throw chatterbaits. About the only trailer I use other than a Lake Fork Magic Shad is a Zoom Horney Toad or sometimes a twin tail grub.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

11. Member
    My two favorites require a bit of modification. I use a Yamamoto Swim Senko with about 1.5" cut from the nose end. I also use a Baby Brush hog cut right below the first set of arms. Both of these just seem to get bit. The brush hog usually works better in more colored water, the senko in clearer. 90% of the time it's a watermelon gold flake on a bluegill colored bait but will also use pearl on a shad color chatterbait.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

12. Member
    skinny dipper
    rage menace
    swim senko

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
    The differences in the baits are very subtle, but make for huge differences in action. #2 is an Original RAD Chatterbait, made before ZMan bought out RAD. Most of the Original RAD baits I have "hunt" right out of the package. #1 and #3 are homemade baits. Some can be tuned to hunt and some can't. Tuning involves bending the line tie forward or backward a tiny bit at a time. It takes a lot of experimenting with each bait to tune it. Apparently identical baits can be very different, so there is no magic formula. The skirts and trailers on each bait in the video are the same.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    Strike King Blade Minnow
    Strike King Rage Twin Tail Baby Menace Grub
    Lake Fork Tackle Live Magic Shad

15. Member
    The differences in the baits are very subtle, but make for huge differences in action. #2 is an Original RAD Chatterbait, made before ZMan bought out RAD. Most of the Original RAD baits I have "hunt" right out of the package. #1 and #3 are homemade baits. Some can be tuned to hunt and some can't. Tuning involves bending the line tie forward or backward a tiny bit at a time. It takes a lot of experimenting with each bait to tune it. Apparently identical baits can be very different, so there is no magic formula. The skirts and trailers on each bait in the video are the same.

HUH you made it sound like the skirt made the difference weather it would hunt or not....... i got excited lol i do very good fishing chatterbaits ive experimented with about every trailer you can think of and keitechs and lake fork swimmers seem to be the best for me could you explain how to tune a chatterbait to hunt a touch more id really like to give that a try thanks

16. Member
    ALSO do you have some d-baits youd like to sell haha i see your avatar is d-baits so im guessing you have a stock pile of them!!

I Like a Strike King menace grub for swim jigs and a Zoom Speed craw for chatterbaits. That was a great video Jeff

18. Member
    Thanks for the great feedback.

19. Member
    Fork shad 4.5
    Zako
    Split tail Zoom SB trailer
    Zoom Super Fluke
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke

Interesting, thanks for the clarification. I did notice in the 1/2 speed video that the hunting action was triggered by the blade stalling (for lack of a better word) momentarily causing the lure to plane to one side till it started vibrating again. Makes sense that modifying the line tie and/or the blade attachment point could cause this hunting action.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast