jackson big tuna

I won a cheap pelican kayak on Facebook last fall, it was too cold to take it out so its just been sitting in the garage. It's not a fishing kayak either, just your basic float around and drink beer type. Anyway, my fiance says I should sell the pelican, and get a tandem kayak where I can fish and she float down the river with me. I haven't found many tandem kayaks other than the big tuna, or the hobie. I don't want to spend $6,000 on a kayak either. I already have a bass boat. Any other recommendations for tandem fishing kayaks, $2000 or less.

2. Member
    Ocean Kayak Malibu 2XL or Feel Free Lure II Tandem and both way under 2k

Glad that's not my wife's wish. I don't think I could her back up the river.

4. Member
    I guess it kinda depends on how often you will use the kayak and the seating comfort level.

The Jackson Big Tuna is a superb and luxurious tandem kayak, the seats and roomyness are to die for. Last Spring, I found up a like new Jackson Kraken (solo) store demo from my local outfitter for $800 off regular pricing, maybe you can try that. Outfitters have Spring sales to get rid of last years inventory or make them an offer.

If you kayak fish only a few times a year I might recommend the Vibe Kayaks Yellowfin 130T for $1100. It has good seating as well.

Another option is the BKC UH-TK219 12 foot Tandem Sit On Top for around $800. Wilderness Systems & Jackson also make sit-in-side tandems with great seats.

Not positive, but I think you would be sitting in the front for easier casting. Be sure to test out the legroom in whatever you decide on.

Personally, I would stick with a name brand, one gets what one pays for. I had a cheapy kayak and couldn’t wait to get out and stretch after 3 hours on the water. With the Jackson, I can recline the seat and fish 8+ hours no problem.

Also, don't rule out a small canoe, Bass Pro and Academy Sports have several models for around $600 or less.

Buy a name brand used or store demo model. Just my humble opinion.
    Fish rate my skills as "just below average"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonian View Post
    I guess it kinda depends on how often you will use the kayak and the seating comfort level.

The Jackson Big Tuna is a superb and luxurious tandem kayak, the seats and roomyness are to die for. Last Spring, I found up a like new Jackson Kraken (solo) store demo from my local outfitter for $800 off regular pricing, maybe you can try that. Outfitters have Spring sales to get rid of last years inventory or make them an offer.

If you kayak fish only a few times a year I might recommend the Vibe Kayaks Yellowfin 130T for $1100. It has good seating as well.

Another option is the BKC UH-TK219 12 foot Tandem Sit On Top for around $800. Wilderness Systems & Jackson also make sit-in-side tandems with great seats.

Not positive, but I think you would be sitting in the front for easier casting. Be sure to test out the legroom in whatever you decide on.

Personally, I would stick with a name brand, one gets what one pays for. I had a cheapy kayak and couldn’t wait to get out and stretch after 3 hours on the water. With the Jackson, I can recline the seat and fish 8+ hours no problem.

Also, don't rule out a small canoe, Bass Pro and Academy Sports have several models for around $600 or less.

Buy a name brand used or store demo model. Just my humble opinion.
    No I'm not going to buy some cheap kayak. It will be a name brand. I'm still trying to gauge how serious she actually is about this, before I buy one. I'd prefer to have my own fishing kayak and her use the pelican. Something like a Jackson cuda, coosa HD, or maybe a big rig.

6. Member
    Just saying - the nickname for tandems is "divorce boat". I would go separate.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bksnaz View Post
    Just saying - the nickname for tandems is "divorce boat". I would go separate.

The Jackson’s have a large transducer spot underneath if you plan on adding a fishfinder later. The transducer hole measures almost 3 x 9 inches on mine.

Wilderness, Hobie, and other brands also have transducer holes. But not all do!

Below are a couple of images of my Garmin DownVu GT22 transducer. In the next week I am upgrading to a GT52 SideVu transducer that has to sit a few inches BELOW the hull. I engineered a pretty slick spring loaded transducer mount that “pops” the transducer back inside for the boat ramp or super shallow water.

Will post images on the forum when that is completed.

Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    I'd be curious if you even need to pop it down below hull - sonar will shoot through plastic obviously - but I have always wondered how much that hull impacts side imaging - if any at all.

9. Member
    I might try your suggestion first since I like having the transducer protected. Hobie and BerleyPro have an ABS cover that screws over the sidescan transducer for protection. In an installation video they mention that the ducer needs to be below the hull. I can always try and see what happens.

10. Member
    Yeah, I had to go the berleypro route as the totalscan is just too large for the standard Hobie opening. With that being said, if there was more proof that the SI and DI quality was not impacted I would definitely mount that totalscan in the hull at the bow of the kayak. Air is the enemy to sonar, even slight air bubbles. Keep us posted.

11. Member
    Rent a tandem, spend a few hours in it with her, and think long and hard about if that's really the way you want to go...

Personally, I'd get two kayaks...!!!

12. Member
    My wife and I love ours. We fish every weekend in it. Plenty of room and very comfortable. Sold my 24' center console Scout after getting the Tuna. We catch more fish now then we ever did in the boat. Love getting off the main areas that the boats can't get. Let me know if you have any questions.
    2016 Jackson Big Tuna
    Addicted to Kayak Fishing!