Gel coat repair?

Got some chips on the hull I wanted to repair. So I called Allison and bought a pint of gel. Plenty to fix the chips but, I didn't get any hardener. Not sure I was supposed to get any hardener. Is it a single component product? If so I will get some out of the can and let it thicken (cure) a little bit then use. My understanding of gel is its basically fiberglass resin with color. Fill chips sand smooth and polish to a high shine. If I am missing a major point here? If so, please fill me in. Thanks.

2. Member
    You need some MEKP to mix with the gel. It takes very little of it.

Were they suppose to send that too? Where do I find it? I have some regular old Polyester resin with hardener I used to seal the foamboard in the front deck where I cut it to install the recessed foot tray. Will that hardener work?

4. Member
    Go to any parts store and get it. It's the clear liquid hardener for fiberglass resin.

They may not been able to send it or don't want to mess with it depending on delivery method. Some of that stuff is difficult to ship (explosive or flammable).
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

I have some thanks fellas.

7. Member
    On your top coat you will have to add a wax to make the gel coat cure properly or spray a mold release on it, if you don't it will remain tacky. Evercoat makes a good mold release.

Johnny Johnson

Apparently it comes from Allison ready to go. Because I mixed some for a test and that shit has dried harder than a woodpeckers lips.

9. Member
    Good deal. I bought a small can of the grey once to do some touch up and it didn't have any in it. It stayed tacky for about 3 days days before I figured out what was going on. Put some mold release on it and boom cured up hard then.

Johnny Johnson

10. Member
    I have found if you are fixing chips and scratches the scotch tape trick works nice. You lay you gel it the scratch then lay a piece of tape over it. It helps it harden the when you remove the tape you have a fairly flat surface so you have not a much sanding. That’s on you tube I bet. It worked for me.