Thread: swim jig help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    The Brovarneys are excellent jigs. Thst said, they do have a lighter hook. They're meant to. I use them, and the Dirty Jigs swimjig with a heavier hook. 1/8 or 1/4 oz. I've never needed heavier. And like has been said, a single tail grub is all I use also. Mainly, because they're cheap...and i've never had a swimbait tail outproduce a grub.

Seems you have all the info needed above.

Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post
    Do not make it more complicated than it needs to be! For me a swim jig is just a bladeless spinnerbait and I fish it as such. Fish then in the same colors as you do spinnerbaits or whatever matches the natural forage where you fish. As far as size I like a 1/4oz with a small grub for open water but a 3/8oz for fishing through cover. A paddle tail bait like the Keitech 3.8" fat impact has more lift than a grub which is why I use the heavier weigh.

Allen
    The lift thing is something I don't think people think about too much. This is a good point, but to take that idea a step further, I've found that I can pretty drastically change how deep or shallow a swim jig will run by putting the trailer on "right side up" or "up side down." For the grub, if you put the tail on so the tip of it aims down (what I would call "right side up"), it will push the jig up and make it run much shallower. If you put it on so the tail aims up (what I would call "up side down"), it will actually push that jig significantly deeper. You can do the same by putting a paddle/boot tail bait on up side down - it makes a surprising difference in how deep they run.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Another question I have is how important is the sensitivity of the rod that you use? I tend to use the same rods that I use for bottom contact but I'm wondering if it is overkill or maybe even worse as I am reacting too quickly? Do you want the fish to load like a topwater/crankbait? Sometimes I do feel that tick but most of the time, the rod just loads.
    Last edited by johnnybass; 02-13-2018 at 02:32 PM.

4. Member
    Depends how you will fish it , I like a little tip so I can’t skip and roll cast depending on the cover . I like a 7’ medium heavy steez

5. Member
    Zona did a short piece this week on swim jigs in deep water.(Bass Pros) The best part for me was at the end when the camera showed a closeup of how he retrieves the bait. I have a hard time windin and shakin like I see so many pros doin.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

6. Member
    Brovarney makes a very good jig but I prefer the Lethal Weapon IV's if I'm buying them. I feel like the head comes through cover better and the hook is stouter. I do wish they made 1/8oz though. I pour and tie my own now the majority of the time.

Try a 1/8 oz swim jig with a Kalin Scrub and fish it over slop like you would a frog.

7. Member
    1/4 to 3/8 will cover about 90% of your applications, you can get away with a lighter one than a spinner bait because the blades on a spinner bait create a lot of drag and lift the bait up. I use a boot tail swimbait trailer 90% of the time, and something like a speedcraw in really dirty water. Swimjigs are a great alternative to a spinnerbait, particularly for pressured or lethargic fish. Brand is a personal choice, but I like the Boss swimjig heads for lighter cover or open water, and the Lure Parts Online Grass Jig for heavy grass and timber. The stouter hook and weed guard is nice.

Watch the Tactical Bassin youtube video on swimjigs, that helped me become a believer and to think about the bait a bit differently than I had.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

I fish mine on a medium/mod-fast that I think is actually designed for squarebills (fishes much more like a medium heavy). Works great for swim jigs on braid. It's also what I like for chatterbaits, buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, and jerkbaits if that gives you an idea. Just throwing it on whatever you like to throw spinnerbaits should keep you happy as a lot of this is personal preference.

Agree that the extra tip is helpful for roll casts and skipping, and I think it helps allow the fish to get the bait. If you were using mono, you'd probably want to go with a faster action. Bites can range from just feeling like you've picked up a few weeds to stopping dead to knocking slack in the line. Hook sets straight up drive the hook right into the roof of their mouth every single time on a jig that's keeled properly.

Here's a Brovarney driven home on a 5 pounder last spring...50 lb braid with a 16 lb fluoro leader on the aforementioned setup. She wasn't getting off!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Member
    Check out Strikezone Lure company. The head design allows for easy skipping. I use shad and bream colors.

10. Member
    IMO the real key to swimjig fishing is matching a trailer / jig combo to get the right amount of kick and roll out of the jig and still maintain a slowww retrieve . Some boottail trailers need some trimming to get the right results. Amount and kind of action fish want can and will vary from day to day. When you get it right it is DEADLY on shallow weedy flats in the spring.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12