Ranger RT188 / Triton TX18 Talon transom mount?

Has anyone here mounted a Minn Kota Talon directly to the transom of an RT188 or TX18? I am considering adding the 8ft model to the port side but I want to add as little weight as possible so I'm not interested in a sandwich bracket. I have the 2015 model RT188 and there is no access to the transom right of the battery compartment for the washers and nuts.

Would it be possible to drill holes and mount using screws or lag bolts? My concern is that screws would pull through but I figured I'd ask.

I know this would void the warranty but I may be willing to live with that if I can mount without an additional bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdayton1987 View Post
    Has anyone here mounted a Minn Kota Talon directly to the transom of an RT188 or TX18? I am considering adding the 8ft model to the port side but I want to add as little weight as possible so I'm not interested in a sandwich bracket. I have the 2015 model RT188 and there is no access to the transom right of the battery compartment for the washers and nuts.

Would it be possible to drill holes and mount using screws or lag bolts? My concern is that screws would pull through but I figured I'd ask.

I know this would void the warranty but I may be willing to live with that if I can mount without an additional bracket.
    The aluminum is not heavy enough to do it that way. You could have a 1/4 plate welded to the transom, thread the bolt holes, and do it that way.
    Probably not warranty friendly though.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Not Banned
    I'd use the bracket. What may cost you a little more money now and maybe a mph will more than pay for itself down the road in warranty and resell.

4. Member
    Why don't you just use the bracket that power pole provides for these model boats and get someone to fabricate another base plate to mount the talon to??

Thanks for the input! That's pretty much what I expected. I'll definitely go ahead and get a bracket if I decide to pull the trigger. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Buggs247 View Post
    Why don't you just use the bracket that power pole provides for these model boats and get someone to fabricate another base plate to mount the talon to??
    I've already looked into this, if I do get the talon this is most likely what I'll do.