Help with trailer tire wear - solution needed for single axle trailer -SOLVED

The inside edge of Starboard tire is wearing with feathering. The worn area is @ 1 inch wide. Air pressure is correct @ 50 lbs.
    Is it a bearing gone or could that side of the axle been knocked backward a bit?

Thanks for any advice on this.
    Barry

It is a Javelin Trailer.

Modified by Mr Limpet at 6:04 AM 5/4/2009

2000 Javelin Renegade 18
    2000 Johnson 150

Raw thumb every time I go out. My tackle box is a small paper sack.

2. Moderator

Re: Help with trailer tire wear - solution needed for ... (Mr Limpet)

Sounds like the wheel is out of line. Shouldn't be a bearing issue causing that.
    Jason Phillips

3. Member

Re: Help with trailer tire wear - solution needed for ... (1niceStratos)

Anyone else have an idea? Bent axle?

Thanks again.
    Barry

2000 Javelin Renegade 18
    2000 Johnson 150

4. Member

could be a suspension issue or bent axle

Re: Help with trailer tire wear - solution needed for ... (stratos17)

I would try posting on the trailer/towing forum, one of the mods there will give you some good advise

1999 Evinrude 150 Ficht E150FPLEEA
    1999 Javelin Renegade F/S 19

6. Member

I have narrowed the problem to an out of square hub or a bent wheel.
    The tire has a worn area on @ a third of the inner tread @ 1inch wide.
    I couldn't see the whole tire as the fender covered up most of the tire. I removed the tire to inspect the bearings - they were tight and covered in grease.

I took the tire to my tire shop and the owner (who also fishes - Ranger) said that the trailer tires are are not made well and all will have some type of wear issues. The construction quality is not up to car/truck tire standards. Typical of Good Year to make a poor quality tire - Marathon.

My tires are 9 years old and sat almost their whole mounted life as the boat had less than 10 hours on it when I bought it last year.
    It is a 2000 Javelin Renegade 18 and a Javelin trailer.

I guess I will be buying new tires for the trailer regardless if the hubs check out as being straight.

Jack up your trailer and check your tire wear to avoid a problem on the road.

His advise was to replace the tires ($ 78.00 each) after 4 years as a safeguard against problems on the road. He said that the biggest culprit is the tire will breakdown from storage during the off season and the belts will separate on a flat spot.

Is there another tire manufacturer who makes a 14 inch trailer tire besides Good Year?

2000 Javelin Renegade 18
    2000 Johnson 150

...Mr Limpet...I will tell you my experience with Javelin boat/ trailer combos....I had a 1998, 400b model, almost 20' with a single axle box frame trailer. These combos were sent from the factory at the weight limit of these trailers. Add 50 gal of fuel and all your crap and they are too heavy for a single axle...After several years I developed a ware pattern on the inside edges of the tires caused by bent axles...Don't even get me started on the rust issues on the box frames..That's just my .03....

8. Member

Re: Help with trailer tire wear - solution needed for ... (bass-ackwards)

Thanks for the response. That is my next thing I'm going to inspect. I was told to jack the trailer at the center of the axle and see if that would correct the problem. My wear is on the inside, 1in. wide on about 1/3rd of the tire radius.

2000 Javelin Renegade 18
    2000 Johnson 150

9. Member

Re: Help with trailer tire wear - solution needed for ... (bass-ackwards)

I ran a '96 201 on a single axle trailer for 7 years and only replaced tires one time...They had over 30,000 miles on them when I replaced them...I never had any wear issues like this...It sounds like the axle has moved/ been knocked out of alignment, or the hub is mounted on the axle crooked...The amount of guys I see running the starboard wheel of the road when towing is ridiculous...This is what I consider the biggest culprit of most axle issues...

10. Member

I figured out what the problem is with the tire on the starboard side of the trailer. Thanks to all who offered a solution to help out.

This boat I found and bought is a 2000 Javelin Renegade 18 with less than 10 hours on it when I bought it. The trailer tires still had the mold nubbies on the tread. This boat had spent its life on the trailer, parked in a garage and this caused the tires to flat spot which led to the tire separation.

When I pulled the wheel off the trailer, unloading the tire exposed a slight egg-shaped tire bulging part of the tread surface.

If you buy a used boat that has sat for any length of time chances are your tires will have similar issues. Beware of this, especially if you have to tow her a long way home on tires that are damaged from sitting in one spot for too long.

2000 Javelin Renegade 18
    2000 Johnson 150

11. Member

Sounds like you found the issue but I had similar wear on 1 tire. Though not a stratos trailer or boat, it was a brand new trailer rate higher than the weight of the boat. Turns out I bent the axle. Only 1 tire wore and I could not tell the significance of the bend with the axle on the trailer. I now have a 3500lb axle. Well spent $300.