2012 150 pro xs giving off white smoke?

I bought a used boat with 40 hours on it. Now how roughly 90 on it. I am using super unleaded and and the correct DFI oil. Also have run mercury quickcarr in it. I am getting a thin white smoke that is coming out the back. Any ideas or recommendations? It runs great and has just started happening. First time bot owner starting to get a pit in his stomach thinking something is wrong

2. Member
    Check the FAQ here:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=20401

Looks like you should be using 87 octane. Running hi- test on a motor set to 87 can cause some issues

It can be steam or condensation/fog from the hot exhaust and cold, damp air. You do need to run 87 and start using Don’s cocktail which will add Quickleen to your additives.

ALSO, your motor is a 2.5L motor and should be posting there.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    It's the same thing you see when you start your car/truck on a cold morning and nothing to be concerned about. Lots of good info in the FAQ at top of this forum and the 2.5L forum. As indicated, your engine is tuned for peak performance with 87 octane, for best performance buy your fuel from a high traffic station selling top tier fuel and ensure you only buy fuel with no more than 10% ethanol. Add Quickare and Quickleen at the recommended ratios and consider adding Premium Plus to your fuel to keep your injectors happy, all in the first thread linked below plus a couple more relevant topics.

Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines

Compressor STRAINER Cleaning

_______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

If it's what I think it is you're okay ... my 150 Pro XS does it occasionally. I run 87 octane and Don's cocktail.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Lots of good info provided above. Very likely steam (and perfectly normal).

Moving to the 2.5L Forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor