Brand New Mercury 4 Stroke 150

Gents I am excited to say that I just purchased a brand new Ranger RT198P with a Mercury 150 4 stroke on the back. I have never owned a new boat or performed a break in on a motor. I will follow the recommendations in my owner's manual to a T, but wondered if there were any other points that folks would like to share.

Also how does everyone like their motors? I'm coming from an older Yamaha 2 stroke on a 1997 Skeeter.

Thanks,
    Cameron

2. BBC SPONSOR
    I live south of you a couple hours and love my RT. I also have the 150 4-stroke and its a neat little motor. Its so smooth and runs great. I too am still in the breakin process and I follow the rules to a T, I only have like 4 hours on mine so I am ready for spring to get it all done so I can open it up. That boat loves a jackplate, hope you have one on there it will make a world of difference.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I have a 2016 Mercury 4 Stroke 150 on my boat and I love it. It's quiet and powerful and pretty good on gas. I just followed the break in procedures in the manual.

4. Member
    Break it in exactly to the manual. One tip is load the boat fill the live wells bring a buddy full tank of gas. You really want to put a load on the motor. Those first couple hours. Enjoy the new boat.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

5. Member
    I had a 2013 150 just sold A+++ you will love it!!!

6. Banned
    And after the initial break in, run the hell out of it. 4 strokes run so cool that sometimes the rings don't get properly seated. Don't be bashful as they were built to be run hard.

7. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Ran one on a Lund for 4 seasons with zero problems. Great motor. Congrats on your purchase

8. Member
    Thanks for the tips guys! Ill get it loaded down and broke in once this weather warms up a bit next weekend. For those telling me to run it hard after the break in.....a throttle is an on/off switch right? I didnt think you could do anything different? ;)

9. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    Break it in exactly to the manual. One tip is load the boat fill the live wells bring a buddy full tank of gas. You really want to put a load on the motor. Those first couple hours. Enjoy the new boat.
    That's kinda how I broke in my 75hp. Boat was swamped from a cover malfunction in a rain storm before the maiden voyage. It was heavy and huge swells on the lake from howling winds. It loves to run that's for sure! Not sure how much truth there is to this but I hear the rings do their "seating" during the cool down process.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

pack plenty of food & drinks. smokes etc and hang in there, cruise, ride, troll fish what ever.. make like the indy 500 and don't stop the motor, keep it running constant for the break in duration .. yea its a PIA, but get er done..! yea we all know times it cant be done. but then again later on some times don't show up for a long time. always Murphy Law, incidents , other future issues, LIFE Events. any thing and every thing usually lolo.. Even if have whole 24 hour stent planned, for break in.. Didi that with uncle yrs ago on a Boat after 4 hrs he wanted to go home.. and I should of had him drive him self to lake. Used to be average 15 hr day on lake before that one special day And of course it sat for 2 months before got to go back to lake due to over the road trucking back then.. So since then I don't take others with me on important events, always get let down

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    pack plenty of food & drinks. smokes etc and hang in there, cruise, ride, troll fish what ever.. make like the indy 500 and don't stop the motor, keep it running constant for the break in duration .. yea its a PIA, but get er done..! yea we all know times it cant be done. but then again later on some times don't show up for a long time. always Murphy Law, incidents , other future issues, LIFE Events. any thing and every thing usually lolo.. Even if have whole 24 hour stent planned, for break in.. Didi that with uncle yrs ago on a Boat after 4 hrs he wanted to go home.. and I should of had him drive him self to lake. Used to be average 15 hr day on lake before that one special day And of course it sat for 2 months before got to go back to lake due to over the road trucking back then.. So since then I don't take others with me on important events, always get let down
    I strongly recommend you split the break-in period up into at least 2 (preferably 3) complete HEAT CYCLES.

Still want to run it hard... and seat items, but it's a great idea to shut it down, then cool it down to ambient temp, restart and bring it up to temp (then hammer-down for more break-in). This can be VERY beneficial to the longevity of the engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I strongly recommend you split the break-in period up into at least 2 (preferably 3) complete HEAT CYCLES.

Still want to run it hard... and seat items, but it's a great idea to shut it down, then cool it down to ambient temp, restart and bring it up to temp (then hammer-down for more break-in). This can be VERY beneficial to the longevity of the engine.

What ever Don says goes HE IS THE DUDE!! It is great to have his in put on this stuff
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 02-14-2018 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Fixed missing text