Thread: XR6 lower end

XR6 lower end

Don can you help me out with this I have a 2004 Merc XR6 serial #OT931623 need to replace lower unit do you know the correct gear ratio ? Merc site list two of them. Thanks

2. Member
    the xr6 case has 1.78 gears and is a smaller diameter.

3. Member
    thank you

4. Member
    could have a 1;87 ratio case on it/ most of the later ones did /how many water pick up holes on side,if it has 8 likely 1;87
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    My 2000 XR6 has factory 1.87 large gear case. Using a 23p Tempest Plus.

I had read on screemandfly I believe it was. the XR4's had the smaller gear case with 1.78 gears. This carried over for a few years into the XR6 models and they switched to the 1.87 large case.

6. Member
    The small gear case was not exactly a paragon of reliability. Bearing carrier would chatter if you ran at high engine heights. Way to0 little surface area on the rear (closest to the prop) part of the carrier where it contacted the gear case housing. I eventually found a racing carrier that was much wider in this area. Several of us learned how to use beer cans to make shims to wrap around the carrier to remove the slop mentioned above. Only to have the threads holding the cover nut give out. Then you learn to (a) pin the bearing carrier in with a couple of screws and (b) curse like a sailer the first time you have to remove and replace those screws as the holes have to be aligned perfectly while pressing the carrier in enough to align in that direction... Not worth the headache.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200