Thread: Trim ?

Trim ?

Can someone verify the correct trim fluid and procedure for ensuring the trim fluid is at the correct level? I have a slight popping (air) noise every once in a while and thought that may be a sign of low fluid. Thanks in advance for the help.

Details:
    Motor Ser# OD253828
    Year: 1994
    Mercury XR6 - 150HP

2. Member
    I would say the popping noise is probably coming from the 2 trim cylinder ram ends. Try putting some Merc approved grease on the ends ...or any water resistant grease and see if the popping goes away.

3. Member
    I'd only use Mercury or Quicksilver fluid if you find you need to add any.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    blackboat, it's not the rams needing greese. It's air bubbles

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Air will seldom cause a "popping" noise. It will cause a churning/gurgling or squealing.

If you need to check the fluid level, the BOAT and TRAILER must be level.

Raise engine FULLY.

Set the Safety Latch.

Open fill cap. Fluid should be just to the bottom of the threads (NOT pouring out).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    My description was a poor choice, it's definetly air passing the valve, I'm aware of the clicking/ popping noise on the rollers and socket. Just wanted to verify what type of trim fluid it was supposed to have and if there was a procedure to cycle it to ensure it's full.