Obnoxious, loud colors

So I watched a Zona episode that I had recorded where he and Seth Feider caught smallies on bright pink and bright yellow plastics in gin clear water. They were saying that GP and watermelon wasn't getting any bites. Curious as to whether or not others have found this to be true and under what circumstances. I don't think I would have any confidence in those colors in clear water.
    Last edited by johnnybass; 02-05-2018 at 01:56 PM.

2. Member
    I saw that. While I throw pink Flukes at Cumberland in the spring, I typically use roadkill or similar when venturing north.

3. Member
    Smallmouth are primarily sight feeders and are attracted to bright colors.

Search for Megabass JDM Flap Slap in Frozen Tequila color. Spotted bass kill it
    https://carolinafishingtackle.com/co...=5372812886045
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

5. Member
    I have done well over the years using bright pink super flukes for May smallmouth. Chautauqua is gin clear in May and it is a hoot throwing a bright pink fluke in shallow water. Once early June hits, the bright pink flukes goes back for a long nap awaiting next May.

What is amazing is the times that you don't really see the fish hit, the pink fluke just disappears.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

6. Member
    Show them something they don't see everyday but color only matters when it matters.

I have caught bass on a junebug colored head, hot pink skirt, chart. super chunk trailer jig just to prove to someone that you don't always have to match the hatch.

Allen

7. Member
    Smallmouth will slam a bubblegum colored spinnerbait.

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    Search for Megabass JDM Flap Slap in Frozen Tequila color. Spotted bass kill it
    https://carolinafishingtackle.com/co...=5372812886045
    Will have to give this a try.

9. Member
    Fishing this time of year I have caught fish on bubblegum and methiolate trick worms when nothing else would do.

Quote Originally Posted by limit5bass View Post
    Will have to give this a try.
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

11. Member
    If ur fishing say the shad spawn and matching that hatch and getting very little bites. Ive heard of switching to a bright color of the same bait to set ur lure apart from the rest of the bait like a focal point and it will generate more bites. Ive done this with a weightless fluke for smallies and have found it does work when the bite is tough
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

12. Member
    Its same concept i feel in spring when everyone is using a lipless crank with rattle..i.e rattletrap. If the bite slows on it then most likely they r getting conditioned to the sound. So go to a one knocker or even a silent lipless and you will get bites
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

I've had luck with bright colors (usually pink) in clear water with smallmouth just about any time of the year. It's strange as you can never predict it (outside of the spawn) and more times than not it doesn't work, but if you find the day that they're on it, they hit it like it slept with their mother. I've found this to be similarly true for both largemouth and smallmouth when they're on the beds, moreso for largemouth when you find them guarding fry while smallmouth will kill it whenever it's around that time of year. It really pisses them off.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I've had some success with bubblegum and merthiolate colored trick worms for LM. Had a friend absolutely crush me on a hunter orange x-rap a couple springs ago.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

I've caught hundreds of largemouth on a bubblegum fluke in clear water around weeds. It's a bait that has kind of fallen out of favor with me as the lakes I now fish most often are tannic with only a foot or two of visibility. Watching the fluke work and then disappear when a fish hit is what I loved about the bait.

16. robdy72
    Quote Originally Posted by BassPundit View Post
    I've caught hundreds of largemouth on a bubblegum fluke in clear water around weeds. It's a bait that has kind of fallen out of favor with me as the lakes I now fish most often are tannic with only a foot or two of visibility. Watching the fluke work and then disappear when a fish hit is what I loved about the bait.
    I want you to know you sold me on them, when I was out shopping a few days ago picked up a pack just to try in clear water.

17. Member
    One of my favorite lakes to fish is clear, up to 25 ft visibility and the smallmouth love a fluke. But, I always have used more natural colors. I have read numerous times that they will smash a bright color but have just been too hesitant to try it when I know the other colors I use will work. This year though I'm going to give a pink fluke a try and just see. I guess you never know until you try it for yourself right ?

If you have some white flukes and some bubble gum floating worms, just put your white flukes in with the pink worms. The flukes will turn pink within a few weeks.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    If you have some white flukes and some bubble gum floating worms, just put your white flukes in with the pink worms. The flukes will turn pink within a few weeks.
    You can get some pretty interesting looking colors doing that. I have some watermelon seed worms that accidentally got mixed with some red shad ones. Turned out great.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.