Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone else have poor luck with flourocarbon?

I have tried at least 3 different brands (Berkley 100% Flouro, Trik Fish, and Gamma Edge), have used the palomar knot (making sure to moisten the line before tightening down a knot), and have consistently had nothing but problems with flourocarbon. Between fraying and the line just snapping on casts (I think the line is getting pinched when I get a backlash and that's weakening the line), I've given up trying to use it, which sucks since so many people swear by it. Instead I've gone to using just braid and mono since those are the two lines I have confidence in. Anyone else struggle with this or overcome these issues? I just can't justify the cost of flouro when it seems I can only use it for a short time and then find myself stripping it off and putting on braid or mono.

2. Member
    A lot of people have told me not to use a palomar with fluoro. Otherwise, the only problems that I have had with certain fluoros is too stiff and too much memory.

Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I have tried at least 3 different brands (Berkley 100% Flouro, Trik Fish, and Gamma Edge), have used the palomar knot (making sure to moisten the line before tightening down a knot), and have consistently had nothing but problems with flourocarbon. Between fraying and the line just snapping on casts (I think the line is getting pinched when I get a backlash and that's weakening the line), I've given up trying to use it, which sucks since so many people swear by it. Instead I've gone to using just braid and mono since those are the two lines I have confidence in. Anyone else struggle with this or overcome these issues? I just can't justify the cost of flouro when it seems I can only use it for a short time and then find myself stripping it off and putting on braid or mono.

Is this on more than one rod?

May want to check your guides. Ask me how I know

4. Member
    I had the same issues with floro. Id tell you if to stay with mono and braid. But if you want to still try it I went to sunline shooter floro and use the knot Zona uses that has three tag ends. This is by far the best knot I have ever used for floro. Zona calls it a shark knot. If you search it on YouTube you should find it. I use braid backing on my reels and only put on 70-80 yards of line on reel and use it for atleast 3 months if not longer.

5. Member
    Use 100% floro spooled all the way up. No problems. With Floro you get what you pay for.
    Please release me,let me go.

6. Member
    Hate the stuff. Other than it sinks slightly I see no reason for it. There’s no way a fish can see regular mono and not flouro. If a fish was worried about the line he would see the hooks too. If your worried about it I’d use braid with a mono leader but line to line knots are kind of a PITA.

just my opinion here

7. Member
    Love flourocarbon! I would switch to a uni know. Palmor can kink the line if it twists while tying. The main thing is your backlashing. If you start digging at a backlash to get it out and pull hard you kink the line and it will break. Be gentle if you get a backlash.
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

8. Member
    Caught a ton of fish on Gamma Edge over the years but rarely use FC now. I have had some of the issues you speak of on many FC's and it tends to run in batches. Most of my breakoffs were in the hook area when casting. I use light braid now. the issue there is on harder hooksets the line can break
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

9. Member
    I hear what you're saying about getting what you pay for...one of the lines I used but failed to mention was Berkley Vanish, which I know is a cheap, awful flourocarbon. The three I mentioned all were recommended by several people. I have tried it on more than one rod, but I know what you mean about a bad guide causing the fraying problem. In all honesty, I only had the bad fraying with one of the lines, the other two were decent in regards to fraying. I can't remember which pro it was, but they had a video in which they said that the palomar knot is the only one they tie with flouro and they've never had a problem with it. That's why I used it. I think right now it's just a confidence thing. It wouldn't be a popular line if everyone had problems with it. I probably just need to buy another spool and try it again, but I just don't know if I can bring myself to do it. Thanks for the comments though. Very helpful.

10. Member
    I love fluorocarbon as well. Like Sparky, I use a uni knot. No problems with knots breaking. As far as getting kinks in the line and it breaking at the kink ....... yep. Again as Sparky said, be gentle when working out a back lash. I don't get very many back lashes bad enough to make the line kink on the cast. If it happens it happens when I am pulling the back lash out.

As for the lines you mentioned. I've used both the Berkley 100% and the Gama Edge. I didn't care for the abrasion resistance on the Gama Edge. I don't use the Berkley anymore, but it's a good line. I'd say its about the same as Vicious Pro Elite. Not horrible, but not great.

I use Tatsu. Considering the problems you're having it's probably way more than you'd want to spend on a fluorocarbon line. But I guarantee if you try it, you won't have the problems you're having now. It is IMO, the best fluorocarbon line on the market.

I use Fluorocarbon almost exclusively on my setups except frogging and topwater. InvizX has been a great line for me using the San Diego jam knot
    2008 Triton TR-196 / 200 HP Optimax

12. Member
    Go to youtube and search for Gerald Swindle florocarbon knot and i believe this will answer your questions as to whats going wrong. He ties same knot as Zona with 3 tag ends but also explains why floro breaks alot.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

I would encourage you to try a copolymer like Gamma Poly flex. I've thrown it for a couple years and like it. Also KVD line conditioner is worth a try.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

14. Member
    I appreciate all the help guys! As I said before, at this point it's just a confidence thing for me. I'll have to remember to be gentle with any backlashes and I think I'll try either Seaguar or Sunline this next time. And I'll tie a different knot as well. Hopefully that combination of changes will help a great deal and I'll be able to build confidence in FC.

15. Member
    Not when you use the best fluorocarbon line in the industry. Sunline Sniper. You get what you pay for.
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

I use a Palomar for all my lines with the occasional flourocarbon knot that Gary Klein ties if I have time. Nothing wrong with a "properly tied" Palomar knot. Minimize the twists when tying and try to get a good, flat Palomar when finished.
    My line breaks before the knot. That's all I care about. I used to tie the Trilene knot with mono, and still do on occasion, but again, the Palomar has been working. So, it aint broke (or breaking)...........
    Tried tying the Rebeck knot a couple of times with braid. Tough one to tie consistently.
    Get you a spool of Sniper FC.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

17. Member
    I've tried several different brands and types and have ran into some bad spools here and there but quality fc is hard to beat. Most of my rods are spooled with various types of sunline and I have a few with gamma edge on them. No problems with any of them unless I don't wet the line when I pull the knot tight or if I get lazy and don't retie enough. I respool everything once per year

18. Member
    Sunline.
    San Diego knot or Double Clench knot.
    NO palomar. Guess there is to much friction and it weakens it.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

19. Member
    I use exclusively Gamma Edge from 6lb to 20lb, for every technique but topwater. Also use nothing but a Palomar not.

I can assure you, you're doing something wrong if the Gamma is breaking regularly. That other stuff...is junk.

Also...the best way to ruin a spool of FC is get a backlash!

FC may not be for everyone. I will never switch back though. It's simply the superior line.

20. Banned
    How has no one referred him to trying Tatsu? I will recommend you give it a shot. Sunline Sniper is also great fluoro. I use KVD line conditioner when initially putting onto spool the night before a tournament, then the night before the next time I go out. With all fluorocarbons; simply taking the few seconds it takes to check your line for nicks/fraying every once in a while is a good practice....you cannot go wrong with Seaguar Tatsu or Sunline Sniper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast