Lay Lake March 17th

My son has his next HS tourn out of Beeswax on March 17th. I haven't fished Lay before. Any tips or ideas we can try? Also, any areas I need to be aware of...boating/safety wise? Thanks for any input.
    Jeff Shepherd
    2005 Chevy Silverado 4X4 Quadrasteer
    2003 Skeeter TZX 190
    2003 Yamaha 175 HPDI

2. Dogfish_Jones
    Just be careful getting out from Beeswax and the river channel. When out there he may want to head a little north toward the steam plant, the water is somewhat warmer there.
    Try fishing any dead grass and humps along the channel in and around the ramp. I now one good hump is right out in the channel when coming out on your right that fish tend to hold to in winter time.
    I will be fishing a tournament there on the 17th, we are not putting in at Beesawax because of this tourneament. The next weekend will be the Alabama Bass Trail time, so you may encounter a lot of those guys prefishing out of Beeswax.

3. Member
    I don't think the steam plant pumps out the warm water anymore, at least not all the time. The last few times I was up there the water coming out of there was just as cold as the water in the river. The area still holds fish, but its not the hot spot it has been in years past.

4. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    Jeff Shepherd
    2003 Skeeter TZX 190
    2003 Yamaha 175 HPDI

5. Member
    Pretty dangerous lake if you have never been on it. Lots of timber right off of the main channel in a lot of areas. Hopefully you have some good mapping. If you have Birds the lakemaster hd map has most of the stumps and underwater obstructions marked. Tournaments can be won without leaving beeswax. A lot of tournaments go out of there, which means a lot of fish are released. Spring Creek is another great creek but is tricky to get in and out of without knowing where the stumps are. The power plant area mentioned above is a great spot if they are generating. Warm water, a lot of current and monster spots. If they are pulling water during the tournament the spots on the river points will come to life and likely be the winning ticket. The problem with lay is there are so many good looking areas, and I can guarantee if you think they look good they have already been fished hard by others. Needless to say my strategy at lay is always catch a limit on spots and then swing for the fence for the largemouths. Good luck to your son.

6. Dogfish_Jones
    How did it go with your son today in his tournament?
    We put in at Sunset Marina in Cedar Creek today. I ended up with 16-4 today with my largest coming in at 4-3. I pretty much caught all mine in Cedar Creek. Around noon when the winds kicked in and white capping the river I never got another nipple to weigh in at 3 PM.
    I was surprise how cleared up the water was today from all the rains we have been having. Cedar Creek was pretty good until the wind cause the banks to become very muddy.
    I hope your son did well and you enjoyed your day on Lay Lake.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    How did it go with your son today in his tournament?
    He doesn't fish it until March 17th. Sounds like you had a good day. Hope we can find some ourselves. I really do appreciate all the input.
    Jeff Shepherd
    2003 Skeeter TZX 190
    2003 Yamaha 175 HPDI