Precision Sonar

Washington Island

Need some advice ...

Thinking about going to stay on the island in July. Need some recommendations on fisherman friendly places to stay that have ample parking for truck and boat etc.

Thanks in advance ..

RK

Precision Sonar & Outdoors
    Home of the Patented Smart Bracket Console Mounting System
    email: ryank@precisionsonar.com
    phone: 270-703-6133

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkylake View Post
    Need some advice ...

Thinking about going to stay on the island in July. Need some recommendations on fisherman friendly places to stay that have ample parking for truck and boat etc.

Thanks in advance ..

RK

Randy, we go up every year from southern Il and fish sturgeon bay, I found several places on vrbo.com, we actually rent a place from a rental agency up there called jrvacationrentals.com, I dunno if they have anything up on the island but you might call them and maybe they might know of some places to stay up there. Everything is so rural up there, really hasnt been advertised.

3. Member
    Heck, your more than welcome to come with us if ya want, we go the week of memorial day and absolutely hammer em up there, it's like a giant farm pond full of 5lb smallies that nobody fishes and havnt seen a lure before

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jatkins1981 View Post
    Heck, your more than welcome to come with us if ya want, we go the week of memorial day and absolutely hammer em up there, it's like a giant farm pond full of 5lb smallies that nobody fishes and havnt seen a lure before
    You know Washington island is closed season until July right?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    You know Washington island is closed season until July right?
    I think the northern zone is catch and release only from the traditional opener until late June, is Washington island under different special regs?
    Cheese County Bass Club

6. Member
    As far as I know Washington Island is no smallie fishing allowed at all until JULY 1. Catch and release is still illegal.

7. Member
    Plenty of good fishing south of Washington island

http://www.the-fisheries.net/the-fis...cfm?article=63
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UWBASS View Post
    As far as I know Washington Island is no smallie fishing allowed at all until JULY 1. Catch and release is still illegal.
    This is correct.

9. Member
    Townliner Motel. 920-847-2422 run by Joel and Krista. Clean rooms and good boat parking, nothing fancy. We've been staying there probably the last 3 years in October and will be staying there again this year. We've stayed at a bunch of other places, been going in October for like the past 12 years, I like this place the best. Walking distance to liquor store, grocery store, Karly's, Middle Bar and Nelsons.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UWBASS View Post
    Is that in the regulations book? On line says Northern zone and WI/Michigan boundaries waters start on traditional May for C&R
    Cheese County Bass Club

11. Member
    You have to look on page 72 of the '18-'19 regs for smallmouth. "With in 1/4 mile of all islands in the town of Washington Island - July 1st to March 3rd"

Washington Island isn't in the Northern Zone inland waters, it's Lake Michigan. The Green Bay/Lake Michigan boundary runs along the west coast of Washington Island so you have to go to the Lake Michigan rules on page 72 for smallmouth bass.

12. Member
    No wonder it's like fishing a farm pond full of giants that haven't seen a lure before on Memorial Day weekend!!!!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    You have to look on page 72 of the '18-'19 regs for smallmouth. "With in 1/4 mile of all islands in the town of Washington Island - July 1st to March 3rd"

Washington Island isn't in the Northern Zone inland waters, it's Lake Michigan. The Green Bay/Lake Michigan boundary runs along the west coast of Washington Island so you have to go to the Lake Michigan rules on page 72 for smallmouth bass.
    I've heard it just never looked it up because we never went that far north, thanks
    Cheese County Bass Club

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    No wonder it's like fishing a farm pond full of giants that haven't seen a lure before on Memorial Day weekend!!!!!
    It can be crazy up there. The weather can make it a total crapshoot in October though. We've had years where you can only really fish Detroit Harbor. It's the odd year that you can run wherever you want.

I'd honestly probably rather be up there in the fall anyway because when they come in off the big lake to feed for the winter, they feed.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    We don't fish Washington island in may , we fish surgeon bay, I just meant the smallmouth fishing in general is awesome, never been to Washington island, but I'd like to try it in July when it opens !