Windshield Replacement - Drilling holes in replacement windshield.

I just got a replacement windshield from Ranger (custom mold and tint) and have been researching on the best method to drill the holes for installation. The instructions are pretty vague (I will post a picture of them shortly) and show a normal wood bit being modified to drill through the plastic windshield. I have found some bits that are designed for plexiglass/acrylic online for around $10. Looking for some advice on the best method of drilling holes into the windshield.

2. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    I used a regular drill bit with no issues. Just take it slow.

4. Member
    I have used a uni bit before, but had pilot holes that I had to enlarge.

Plexiglas is much more prone to shatter than say, Lexan. I would defer to melting holes vs. drilling to mitigate ANY risk of chipping or cracking Plexiglas.

Mark hole location with a marker, clamp a nail in a vise-grips, and heat the nail with a torch. Plunge the hot nail through, and "ream" until you get the desired diameter.
    Excess molten plastic can be trimmed off with a razor blade.

6. Member
    I believe the windshield is made from Lexan. I am going to drill a couple practice holes in my old windshield before I drill the new one. Will try using a sharp but and take it slow and see how that works. I only need two 3/8" holes

pencil style solder iron, make a few practice holes in old w/s 1st

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    pencil style solder iron, make a few practice holes in old w/s 1st
    Didn't think about a soldering iron. Seems like that would work well.

9. Member
    use a drill bit in reverse

10. Member
    Uni/stepped bit. Go fairly slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwasham View Post
    I believe the windshield is made from Lexan. I am going to drill a couple practice holes in my old windshield before I drill the new one. Will try using a sharp but and take it slow and see how that works. I only need two 3/8" holes
    Double-check with Ranger or Customer Mold & Tint if you can on what the new one is made from! Again, Lexan and plexi behave differently when drilling (Lexan much easier to drill without cracking). Would hate to see you mess up your new windshield.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Double-check with Ranger or Customer Mold & Tint if you can on what the new one is made from! Again, Lexan and plexi behave differently when drilling (Lexan much easier to drill without cracking). Would hate to see you mess up your new windshield.
    Will do, I am going to call custom mold and/or ranger before drilling anything into it.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwasham View Post
    Will do, I am going to call custom mold and/or ranger before drilling anything into it.
    Could you please let us know what you find out about what the windshields are made of. I have 2 new ones here that I need to drill also. Thanks

Just drill, good sharp bit and don't over think it.

Doing marine restoration I've drilled several custom mold and tint windshields to install in freshen ups. They're not a glass golden egg, but if someone was trying to burn through it with a dull bit at the fastest speed leaning all 200lbs into I could see where you might have an issue.

15. Member
    Got one a few months ago for my Ranger and talked to the C & O mfg and they advised the special bit for drilling. Bought one from ebay at a high price for shipping, but it worked well. I tried it on my old windshield, which succumbed to some 1000 Island rough water, and new bit worked well. I also took a cone shaped stone fitted onto a battery operated drill and relived the inner and outer edges of the five new holes and applied some liquid electrical tape to the special rubber inserts that came with the new windshield. Some SS bolts and nylock nuts with fender washers inside the console completed the job.

16. Member
    Installed the windshield this past weekend with a drill bit made for plexiglass. Drilled the holes very slowly, it probably took about 3-5 minutes per hole. The drill bit walked some on me for my second hole so I ended up having a hole that was a little off. I drilled a new hole in the console so that the windshield would sit level and patched the old hole in the console (it is behind the new windshield so it is not visible.

The only thing that I would have done differently is to drill a small precise hole over the dot that marked my hole location. This would have reduced the risk of the large 3/8" bit walking on me and causing my hole to be in the wrong place.

Hope this helps anyone wondering about drilling through acrylic material and installing a windshield.