Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I joined the power pole fan club

I found a good deal and had to do it. When the boat is in Texas they really get use. I probably will only use them to anchor the boat at the boat launch. When in Minnesota I will use them all the time as we fish in shallow weeds a lot. Texas lakes are deep and I use spot lock instead. I'm excited for the new driving challenge this year learning how to drive the boat with the lightning rods hanging off the back.

I think they turned out well. I have to thank Jay for all his help and his garage and in general his friendship. Great guy and always around when I need help.
    Install was quick for the most part. Needed two hardware store runs for bolts and unibits. The gland on the back of the boat wasn’t big enough to hold all 4 hoses so we had to drill the back of the boat. Jay had to look away for this part…… He was on deck for power poles until I started drilling.

Lake testing
    I have changed a lot in the last few months, so changes make comparison testing a little complicated. That and the boat is almost a 1000 miles away add a little bit of difficulty to comfort level when driving. In addition, my trim sender went bad again (2nd time in a year) so I have to count in my head seconds to the correct trim levels. Speeds and times have been a little off as a result. I installed a new sender before testing the poles. So I have to build up trust in it again. It’s not good when you find out they are bad while making high speed passes. High speed I’m by feel, but 5-85 no time exists to feel your way.

5-85
    I tried the P3 28 and didn’t get to test my P4 32. I ran my 28Et the day before install, but accidently ran with a full live well, so the times were off. I also ran my newly worked Promax, but didn’t run either the following day after the poles. I had the 28ET on to test, but pre-run bolt checking, after running the P3, found that my version of the Bailey planner under the jack plate had come loose and I needed to run to my storage building to get tools to pull it. When I got back Jay was at the launch, and with limited time we put on the big wheels for top speed testing.

Overall the 28 P3 seemed to not be impacted by the poles from 5-85. Times were within my averages. Not my best run, but consistent with my typical numbers. Since I pulled my wedges to install the Power Pole brackets and I had to pull the Bailey style planner from under the jack plate the 32 P4 sucked out of the hole so I didn’t run times on it to compare how a big wheel may suffer with poles. (FYI, I have only found the Bailey style planner to work well with very tall wheels. 30p and under no major improvement.)
    Bottom line, I have not seen a decrease in performance from 5-85 with the poles. I have several other props to test, just didn't have time.

Top Speed
    As usual we had wind to contend with. We had one section of clean water that was long enough to get the boats up to speed before getting into the wind zone and white caps. Unfortunately by the time we were up to speed we cleared the point and the wind hit us. Top speed testing was held to quick dashes. When the boats got squirrely and loose in the rear we had to get off. If I was alone I would have thought it was the poles, but Jay had the same problem. Both of us had some wild rides over 90. Since the P4 holeshot was so bad I had to circle around and get it on plane, make at turn at 40 and then get on it. By the time I hit 90 I was too far out and in the wind. 93 is the best I could do. I love the P4, but 1.62’s require a little over ½ mile to get into the 97/98 range. We swapped the 32 ET on to my boat and the holeshot was quicker as well as the mid-range. I ended up running 96 with it. It’s a new prop to me, so I’m not sure what the top end without the poles.

For a first run with the poles I was left impressed. I don’t think I will lose much top end with them. I only ran the 32 ET at neutral trim and it was building speed when I got off the gas, so I’m sure more exists. I also got to run in wind, and I don't think they pushed the boat around at all in my normal speed range.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Attached Images Attached Images
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Poles had a definite impact on my top speed. I think the air flows between the poles and the engine until you hit a certain speed. After you hit that speed (could be different depending on boats) I don't think air flows between the poles and outboard anymore. However, fishability means more to me than a few mph topend. I am willing to give some of that up. Your set up is clean and looks fantastic. Lots of guys go with colors but that black looks great.
    Last edited by K-DAWG; 02-04-2018 at 04:42 PM.

4. Member
    Great running Geoff

5. Member
    Looks great !! I’m in Atlanta Texas . I need to come over and run my boat with you and Jay one day soon . Maybe y’all can give me some set up tips .

Quote Originally Posted by Ram2012 View Post
    Looks great !! I’m in Atlanta Texas . I need to come over and run my boat with you and Jay one day soon . Maybe y’all can give me some set up tips .
    What rig are you running? I am on the water most Saturday afternoons, Sunday afternoons, and Mondays most all day. I am game whenever your ready.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

7. Member
    Jay. I’m running a xb2003 with a 225X short shaft. I have had it about two and a half years. What lake do y’all usually go to ? Bob Sandlin ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram2012 View Post
    Jay. I’m running a xb2003 with a 225X short shaft. I have had it about two and a half years. What lake do y’all usually go to ? Bob Sandlin ?
    Bob Sandlin has the best ramps and normally pretty decent water. That is a different animal for sure. That should be a fun boat to drive!
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

9. Member
    Looks just like the factory ran my lines. You have tested your boat to no end so you will know better than any one how the effect its performance.

10. Member
    Looks great Geoff.

11. Member
    Looks great. After fishing two high school tournaments with my son, I can say that I definitely want poles when I can swing them. Most of all, just for holding the boat in position at dock and waiting for blast off.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

Looks good for (grasshopper) legs !!
    Just kidding-- I like it and thanks for all the information. Very interesting...

13. Member
    Good testing and reporting Geoff. I am just starting to dial in a setup on my boat with the poles. I ran a 32” prop that I borrowed from a buddy last week. ET I believe it was. (I’ve run so many different props lately I’m losing track lol) I couldn’t get but 91.7 in some windy conditions but the best rpm’s I saw was 5400. Plenty of water pressure with 23 psi but 1.5 above neutral too. I have a couple of 29XOB’s to run now. I believe that with these 2 props I might see 95-96 loaded. If not I will def be in low 90’s. I don’t think I’ll use my poles much other than docking but that will be ok if it saves my gelcoat.

After seeing them on your boat at Pucketts I was done for. 1.5" above the pad is high. Wow! If I could quit buying props I would get a new jackplate so I could get mine above 1" over the pad. I'm maxed out right now.

My boat seems to like props no one else likes. Makes shopping easier. I just sold/traded my beloved 30 promax tonight. The 32et put it out to pasture. I really liked the ET. Jumped out of the hole good enough, solid mid, and rolled on top.

I traded for a 26 and 28 labbed Promax.. See how they turn out. I like the promax as an all around fishing wheel. Put a couple of PVS holes in them and they run great out of the box, no need to have a ton of work done to them. Break one and its easily replaced. Every other prop I own can't be replaced. They are all heavily worked and would take multiple trips to the prop shop for me to duplicate. I almost don't want to run some of them. I will miss Texas deep water. In Minnesota sand rash props are a norm. Hopefully the poles will eliminate some of that from beaching.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Interesting Geoff --
    The fastest I have ran this Prosport was with a labbed 30 Pro ET when I had the taller gears.
    I did not like it in real rough water but everything else was great -- then it slung a blade.. Based on past experience with my 2003 I'm going to also try Mazco RE4 I loved them for fishing props..
    You just don't hear of anyone else running the Pro ET or an RE4 on these rigs..

My ET's are fair weather props. I didn't want to run them hard the other day in windy conditions where they would free spin going through the waves crests. Trying to limit the water they see. Both are thinned and tuned to run. I don't think they will hold up to day to day running. I thought the same thing about my P3 and drove it all season without issues.

The RE4 was my favorite prop on my 21 Liberator. Not the fastest, but it got out of the hole well and it handled great in turns. In general it stayed hooked up well and I couldn't find a wheel that ran better in various conditions.

When I bought this boat I had 2 28 RE4's. Sold the first one without even trying it. I took the second out on a windy day when I had the 225. I think it was too tall for that motor. It didn't come out of the hole well and I was too new to the boat to really drive and push it. I wish I had it now. I think it would perform well.

Jay tried a ProET and liked it. Ran well on his 2+2. Other props just ran better that day his.

We all like and look for different things in props. Some don't like spool up and others don't mind. We all run with different loads and in different conditions. I prefer to try every prop I can get my hands on and see which ones fit the way I like to drive.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Funny thing about props is they don't all perform the same for everyone. I ran the 32 ET and couldn't stay off the limiter (to much slip) but my boat is pretty nose heavy. I did lower the motor 1/2" and lift improved as well as speed. That prop would be great on a non fishing day with no gear up front on my boat. Holeshot was pretty good as well. Then again I find the limiter on almost every prop I try lol. On a side note I did manage to run a new personal best yesterday with Geoff's 32 P4 loaded heavy running solo I hit 95.75 and the limiter!
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

I did that for years..But sadly not so much with this combination.
    Because you never know when you may stumble on to that MAGIC one that fits YOURS.
    Bought a new Gambler in 1996 After trying many props I bought a used Merc Chopper that had been worked by Dave Bostic... Everyone said it would never work on that rig---Best prop I ever found and I tried a truck load.

19. Member
    That’s the answers Mike. Thanks. My wife is always on me about buying props “What are you going to get maybe 1 mph? It’s just stupid” I always tell her no I might lose 5 but if I do get lucky and I gain 1 then it’s money well spent. Now I can tell her no I am searching for that one majic prop. I never put my boat in the river this summer with it exactly the way it was the day before I am always searching for that 1 more MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post
    Funny thing about props is they don't all perform the same for everyone. I ran the 32 ET and couldn't stay off the limiter (to much slip) but my boat is pretty nose heavy. I did lower the motor 1/2" and lift improved as well as speed. That prop would be great on a non fishing day with no gear up front on my boat. Holeshot was pretty good as well. Then again I find the limiter on almost every prop I try lol. On a side note I did manage to run a new personal best yesterday with Geoff's 32 P4 loaded heavy running solo I hit 95.75 and the limiter!
    Congrats Jay on the big number. 95.75 is smoking loaded to fish with a 250. Bummed I missed it. Here is a nice pass in wind from a few days earlier. You can see his bow tip at the end as he gets out from the protection of shore and into the wind.

Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast