2002 Champion 188 hull seperation

Long story short I went to look at the 2002 Champion 188 at Dixie Marine (you can find it on boat trader). After a brief inspection I noticed the clear sealant was no longer touching the rub rail right at the nose of the boat. I was able to move the top cap and bottom of the hull by squeezing with my hand and could move it 1/4". You could move about 4 ft on each side of the nose. Just an FYI if your looking at this boat or inspecting any other boat.

2. Member
    What did the dealer say and are they going to fix?

Notice every side shot of the boat the bow is cutoff. $17k for a 16 year old boat with a hull issue? No thanks.

4. Member
    He seemed surprised about the issue. Did not say anything about fixing it. It was a trade in so they might have missed it on their initial inspection

5. Member
    The dealer contacted me with the following:

”We are really sorry that you made a wasted trip. We honestly didn't know about that hull/deck issue. We wouldn't have advertised the boat had we known. We can certainly send you a check for some of your gas money. Please let me know what you had to spend to get here and we'll send you a check. Let me know your mailing address. Thanks.”

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STLBassBuster View Post

”We are really sorry that you made a wasted trip. We honestly didn't know about that hull/deck issue. We wouldn't have advertised the boat had we known. We can certainly send you a check for some of your gas money. Please let me know what you had to spend to get here and we'll send you a check. Let me know your mailing address. Thanks.”
    Wow I'm impressed

7. Member
    Wow! for Dixie Marine!

8. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Good folks, for sure!!!!!

9. Moderator
    Dixie marine is top notch for sure. I bet they would fix it for you. That separation is common honestly. My 198 had it and it never got worse in the 5 years I had it. My 181 had it, my buddies 191 had it and I've seen it on other boats too.. My ranger even moves just a hair. I tightened the screws and it cured it......

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    Dixie marine is top notch for sure. I bet they would fix it for you. That separation is common honestly. My 198 had it and it never got worse in the 5 years I had it. My 181 had it, my buddies 191 had it and I've seen it on other boats too.. My ranger even moves just a hair. I tightened the screws and it cured it......
    I have owned 9 Champions and none of them had this issue. This had the rope in the rubrail so not sure if it had rivets or screws. Either way I passed because it is a safety issue.

11. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    My 181 had it also. My 196 didn't tho.

12. Member
    I would say this company does Ethical Business Practices !!!4

13. Member
    I did receive a check for half my fuel costs.

14. Moderator
    I have owned 9 Champions and none of them had this issue. This had the rope in the rubrail so not sure if it had rivets or screws. Either way I passed because it is a safety issue.
    I understand passing, but no way, is it a safety issue....The cap won't come off the boat. It will loosen and that about it......annoying, yes, bothersome..yes. Safety. nah

15. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Sounds like a really responsible dealer. I would not hesitate to buy from them. The issue is easily remedied!

16. Member
    Very impressive/ I traveled from Ind. to Virginia and when i got there the boat was a piece of trash, honest people are hard to come by.