Flipping Blank Recommendations

I did a search and wasn't able to come across much, so hopefully this isn't a topic that's been beat to death. I'm building my dad a flipping rod as a gift and am looking for some recommendations. He's mentioned wanting a good flipping stick for a long time and I'd really like to build one that suits what he wants.

He likes them as long as possible, so that'll be 7'11" for the trails he fishes. Needs to have some tip (no broomsticks), and would ideally handle a pretty wide range of weights. Say 1/4 to 1 oz or so. Very little grass where he fishes, but he likes to flip "trash" that accumulates in the backs of coves. I'm thinking this rod could also pull double duty as a Carolina Rig rod and even for long casts with a frog so it's not a one trick pony.

My biggest issue has been deciphering what tip actions I can expect from different blanks across different manufacturers. It seems so many companies are just calling everything "fast" nowadays that you can never tell the difference between what will end up being a broomstick and what won't have any backbone (exaggerating, obviously). I'd say I'd try to look for something in a mod-fast action to get that softer tip, but I'm worried I'd end up pigeonholed with heavy composite blanks that wouldn't make the best flipping rods.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 02-04-2018 at 01:27 PM.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Forgot to mention...the "best" ones that seem to fit what I'm wanting that I've come across to this point are the MHX FS905 and 966 blanks,. The 905 is only 7'6" as opposed to the 8 footer I'd like to find but the line and weight ratings seem right on. The 966 is 8 feet, but I'm thinking it might be a little too powerful for what he does.
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 02-04-2018 at 01:28 PM.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

St. Croix 4C711HMF. I have this rod and it is the action you described. I use it for line thru swimbait, Flippin and c rig.

4. Member
    I saw this one on getbit outdoors that may fit the bill
    FS804-USA
    Flipping, Punching, Salt Water

8'0" 12-20 1/4-1 1/2 .600 5.5 Fast 3.1 H

From the the MHX Line perhaps the FP935, it a littler short but it may work, I have built a couple of the FP MHX blanks for three different people 2 FP885 and a FS905 all review have been very positive.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

I built one one a MHX FS905. It has a nice tip for the 1/4 oz stuff and strong backbone for 1 oz punch weights.

6. Member
    The Liberty FS804 should be a great blank for what you're looking to build. I've built many of their FS764's. It is very close to the old Shikari FS764 (weighs just a touch more but spot on action and power).

Hydra Ng FL5 would be another great option.

7. Member
    Agree with the Hydra FL5

Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    The Liberty FS804 should be a great blank for what you're looking to build. I've built many of their FS764's. It is very close to the old Shikari FS764 (weighs just a touch more but spot on action and power).

Hydra Ng FL5 would be another great option.
    I've seen a lot of references to the Shikari FS764 and the Liberty FS764. What makes this blank so special? Is still relevant today? Is it a true flipping stick?

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

9. Member
    Flipping sticks are supposed to have enough give to not launch your fish if he jumps, or clears the cover, more moderate action for the same reason you use for crankbaits. The original flipping stick was built by Fenwick out of S glass. The Shikari especially had just the right action and power for all but the worst conditions. The Liberty blanks were built by Cousins while they were in business, Josh Cooper was their rod designer, before he went there he worked for Lamiglas, the builder of the Dee Thomas IM700 graphite bass rods, Dee is the father and inventor of flipping.
    Last edited by Spoonplugger1; 04-18-2021 at 02:13 PM.

10. Member
    What about the Point Blank 761HM. Shorter than what you're looking for but a little slower action and right weight range.

Their website kind of sucks heres a post with more info https://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php...926#msg-485926

I have one waiting to be built up by me just need to find the time.
    Last edited by Sarcazmo; 04-18-2021 at 06:07 PM.

11. Member
    This thread is back from 2018 so assuming the OP landed on a blank. I do have the 761HM just in and ready for me to build on. It's my first point blank to handle or build on, but it appears to be a special blank. Excited to see how it turns out. Lots of power.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonplugger1 View Post
    Flipping sticks are supposed to have enough give to not launch your fish if he jumps, or clears the cover, more moderate action for the same reason you use for crankbaits. The original flipping stick was built by Fenwick out of S glass. The Shikari especially had just the right action and power for all but the worst conditions. The Liberty blanks were built by Cousins while they were in business, Josh Cooper was their rod designer, before he went there he worked for Lamiglas, the builder of the Dee Thomas IM700 graphite bass rods, Dee is the father and inventor of flipping.
    What Spoonplugger said. I found out last week from Jason Champion (Thrasher) that the Shikari mandrils and the associated layups are with Talon blanks. I guess it's Gary Loomis son running it. Anyway I ordered a handful to check out including the 7'6" extendable flippin blank which should be a FS764.

Yeah, I've learned a bit since I was asking about this 3 years ago!

Appreciate the insight nevertheless!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"