Low Voltage Alarm

I am continuously getting a low voltage alarm on my 2010 Merc 250 Pro XS. Even after putting in new battery (1000 CCA) I would still get it. While running the volt meter shows 14 volts but yesterday while sitting still the voltage would drop to just below 12 volts and the alarm would sound continuously. If I revved the engine just slightly it would stop. Hoping to get it into the shop on Wednesday.........tired of this happening and it has been happening for quite some time.
    09 20x3 w/Merc 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    Before jumping to conclusions on how to fix the alarm, you need to be 100% sure on what the fault is. If it is "low Voltage" then ALL the cables need checked first for corrosion, on the inside of the jacket, and at any termination point.

What batteries ?? both old and new.

Checked all connections while on the water yesterday....no corrosion and all tight (I check those quite often). Battery is an Interstate and is 1 yr old.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retafsp View Post
    Checked all connections while on the water yesterday....no corrosion and all tight (I check those quite often). Battery is an Interstate and is 1 yr old.
    Load test your battery!!! Which specific battery do you have?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    You need to check for corrosion under the insulation at the termination points.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Also need to make sure that you LOAD TEST that battery. Doubt seriously it will come back at 1000 or higher CCA (COLD CRANKING AMPS). Probably confused with "CA"... which is a different rating.

Make sure connections are made ENGINE CABLE FIRST, remaining lugs largest to smallest, and finish with a stainless locknut.

Does this boat have a BATTERY SWITCH?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Don, no battery switch...just the main breaker for the engine and one for TM.

9. Member
    Are you sure this is not your electronics set for a specific low voltage?

10. Member
    Until we know the result of the load test....

No Interstate marine battery (24M, 27M, 34M & 31M) has 1000 cold cranking amps, all four have 800 cold cranking amps. All rated capacities taken direct from Interstate's website.

I'm not making a quality statement about Interstate batteries, simply pointing out of all the marine batteries they produce, four meet engine only minimum capacity for the Optimax (unless someone wants to stuff the SRM-4D battery in their bass boat).
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanker4lyfe View Post
    Are you sure this is not your electronics set for a specific low voltage?
    Help me out on this one. I have a 2017 200 Pro XS. Can I change this? I have vessel view link, sometines I get a low voltage on my HDS. But the actual battery voltage is not low, based on testing I have done. So could this be a Lowrance setting vs an actual mercury engine issue? And I have went through every recommendation on these boards and checked or implemented them.

My bad.....you're absolutely correct...it has 1000 CRANKING AMPS not CCA.

13. Member
    The sonar low voltage alarm is adjustable on every sonar I have seen. I turn it off myself. Worthless. If you want a battery monitor, get a battery monitor and wire it up to the dash, using as big a pair of wires as you can get your hands on.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Utilizing Smartcraft for Battery Voltage is suitable for most "normal" situations.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor