Northern Illinois countdown

Surely you southern folk can chime in too, it's just that we're a little more limited up here with open water in the winter months. Anyways, humor me here as we enter the depths of hell that is known as February. Where's your first spot this spring? Is it Braidwood, local water, fishing trip somewhere else? I'm hoping the weather permits for open water come early March, but who the heck knows. Braidwood is certainly going to get some attention from me as well as my local club assuming there isn't any, or minimal ice to get the boat out. Newton is of course on the schedule (twice in March for me) in which I hope to shred my thumbs in both outings.

P.S. and unrelated to bass, but saw an article come across my feed that a 40lb pike was recently caught out of the Des Plaines. I'm not a believer in quality out of the Des Plaines, but this is certainly interesting especially because the fisher said he's seen a remarkable change in the fishing the last several years....

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purduephigam View Post

P.S. and unrelated to bass, but saw an article come across my feed that a 40lb pike was recently caught out of the Des Plaines. I'm not a believer in quality out of the Des Plaines, but this is certainly interesting especially because the fisher said he's seen a remarkable change in the fishing the last several years....
    I doubt a 40 pound pike out of IL, especially the Des Plaines River, as the state record is only 26 lb. 15 oz. Even Wisconsin is only 38 lb.
    Last edited by Wall-I; 02-04-2018 at 12:40 PM.

3. Member
    You're right, I miss-read out of excitement. 40", 20lbs. Still a giant.

I'll be one of the many at Braidwood in March or the big pond. Depends on the weather. Newton is always on the radar but I hate driving 3.5 hours to fight the crowds on the weekends in the spring so I will probably wait till I get some time off during the week.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

5. Member
    Looking forward to Newton!
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being

6. Member
    Braidwood if the weather is decent, Clinton if not or Newton. Debating taking the 1st off.
    Please release me,let me go.

7. Member
    Northern Illinois countdown?
    Attached Images Attached Images