Thread: Trick step

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar

Trick step

Guy on Facebook Phoenix owners page says to be careful when backing and turning right with a trick step or it will hit your bumper. First issue I have heard with this. Anyone with one comment on this? I think it will be one of the best options I have ordered with the boat
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=866684. This was talked about here Jim. You can hit any trailer if you over turn it when backing, but the trick step shouldn't be a problem. I drive a tractor trailer, and it is possible to back the tractor into the trailer if you back too tight... that said, I have never done it, and you wouldn't believe some of the tight places I have to get in and out of on a daily basis. You just have to keep an eye on it... and stop and get out and look if you think you are getting close.

I ordered the Trick Step on mine... it was a no-brainer. It will be one of the best options we ordered.
    2018 Phoenix 919 Pro XP, 225 Pro XS

Ultrex 112#, Helix 10s, NightFishion HD-8

”Midnight Special”

3. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    I have no regrets after having something similar on last boat but not as good as trick step
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

My buddy ordered the step with his new boat. I was debating until I walked into the dealer to order mine and saw one on the showroom floor with the step. Zero hesitation after walking up and down it one time!

Quote Originally Posted by cehlert View Post
    My buddy ordered the step with his new boat. I was debating until I walked into the dealer to order mine and saw one on the showroom floor with the step. Zero hesitation after walking up and down it one time!
    This was my experience as well. I knew about the Trick Step, but never saw one in person. I was there to order my boat, and I was planning on ordering my boat without one. They had one in the showroom. My 73 year old dad was with me. We both walked up into and back down from that boat with ease, and I was sold.
    2018 Phoenix 919 Pro XP, 225 Pro XS

Ultrex 112#, Helix 10s, NightFishion HD-8

”Midnight Special”

6. Member
    I ordered one on my 721. It's gonna be sweet. I seen one on a Phoenix at a boat show. Gonna work great
    2021 Phoenix 921 Elite/Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Mine hit the bumper first backing in a sharp turn. So I lowered it as far as possible so it moves it farther back on the trailer.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS
    2019 nitro z20, mercury pro xs 250 four stroke

8. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Or one could get a longer ball mount
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

9. Member
    I had one put on my 819 and now about 5 guys in our club have them. Have not heard of anyone clipping a bumper but sure, turn too tight and it could happen. I played with mine a bit & I think I know about how far I can turn backing up now.

I think the key is don't turn too tight. If you turn too tight and hit the step you're probably on your way to hitting something else besides the step.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    I've had a few guys tag their bumper with the center step, you have to turn really tight to hit it but it can happen. We don't know every ones truck or hitch set up but one simple fix can be found at www.etrailer.com they have a good assortment of ball mounts that extend about 5 inches further back than most standard ball mounts, rated form 7500 lbs. to 10,000 lbs. and in all the different drop heights you'll need starting at 25.00 dollars. This is a no brainer if your concerned about hitting, it also gives you a 5 inch chance of not having to get your feet wet launching the boat, win/win if you think about it.

12. Member
    I have had zero issues. You really gotta jack knife that thing to hit it in my opinion.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

13. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I'll try not to jack knife you when I back up!

14. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    I'll try not to jack knife you when I back up!
    good, i know where you live!
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

15. Member
    I put one on my trailer and had had no problems. I love it, safe and easy for and old guy to get in and out of the boat. Buy one and you will see for your self.

16. Member
    I have to cut pretty dang sharp to hit my driveway and haven't hit it yet. Some bumpers may line up with a step just right to make it easier to hit though

17. Member
    I put a trick step on my 920, I tow with a F 250 and have not come close to hitting the bumper. The trick step really makes it easy to get the front strap on the boat when you are putting it on the trailer. Love mine.

18. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassinracer View Post
    I've had a few guys tag their bumper with the center step, you have to turn really tight to hit it but it can happen. We don't know every ones truck or hitch set up but one simple fix can be found at www.etrailer.com they have a good assortment of ball mounts that extend about 5 inches further back than most standard ball mounts, rated form 7500 lbs. to 10,000 lbs. and in all the different drop heights you'll need starting at 25.00 dollars. This is a no brainer if your concerned about hitting, it also gives you a 5 inch chance of not having to get your feet wet launching the boat, win/win if you think about it.
    Thanks Mark for the info! For anyone that doesnt know, Bassinracer IS Mr. Trick Step!

19. Member
    Just be careful with the hitch extenders, I seen where they reduce your tongue weight by 50%
    2021 Phoenix 921 Elite/Mercury 250 Pro XS

20. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Well brought my new 920 home today and wow! One of the first things I noticed was the trick step and was happy they welded the step on which is not what I expected. I think it’s a must have
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast