200 Pro XS Low Voltage?

SN-2B013300
    Started her this morning and got a 1 second beep after the initial start up chirp. Boat did start a little slow but was in the first crank. It did not do it again the rest of the day. Has a 31 Deka for cranking that is less than 1 year old. It came off a Minn Kota on board 3 bank charger about 1 hour earlier. Is there a low voltage alarm? I didn’t pay any attention to the voltage because I wasn’t expecting any issues, but it was cold out, 25 degrees. Any other ideas? I’ll get it to the mechanic this week to be plugged in to check it out.

2. Member
    Yes there is a low voltage alarm. One beep, usually while turning the motor over. You either have a battery that is dying slowly, or else one that is not big enough for the opti's... The 31 deka is a good battery so long as it is a marine starting battery, not a marine deep cycle battery.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... a load test of the battery, and check of it's connections would be first on my list.

Do you have a BATTERY SWITCH?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    No switch. I have the Deka Intimidator 8A31 DTM. Connections are clamped and solid.

5. Member
    That looks like the wrong battery to me. If you go to the East Penn web page, that's listed as a deep cycle marine battery. Made specifically to protect against deep discharge damage. The way they do that is with heavy duty lead grids that have reduced surface and more internal strength. Less surface area means less current available over a short period of time...
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

6. Member
    It was one listed on the FAQ Battery page

7. Member
    It may well be OK. But on their data sheet CRANKING is not mentioned. Just lots of electrical - only things. Generally the words "deep cycle" and "cranking" are not used in the same sentence.
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

8. Member
    The 8A31DTM is a dual purpose battery designed for RV & Marine use in starting application as well as deep cycle. Doesn't help that Deka uses the same name for both their deep cycle, non starting battery and the marine battery. Marine data sheet here - http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com...Flyer-1741.pdf
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    It was a low voltage alarm. So, if the battery I have isn’t what I need, which one do I need?

10. Member

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    That is where I got the DEKA recommendation from. So do I have the right battery or not?

12. Member
    If it was on the list, then it meets the requirements.

13. Member
    Have you gotten the battery load tested as Don recommended in reply #3 above? You could have a battery problem or a charging problem. Best to start by taking the fully charged battery somewhere to have it load tested.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Member
    We started it at the mechanics yesterday. Started at 12v, Dropped to 7 volts with starting the motor but jumped right back to 12+ and gained from there. I dropped it off at Master Battery, where I got it from and they said they would charge it and do their own load test and get back with me. Hopefully they take care of me. So, should I look for a “STARTING” battery as oppose to “dual purpose” that JUST meets requirements?

15. Member
    Starting batteries are certainly the best option. The dual-purpose batteries have heavier plates, which helps survive deep discharges. I tried an East Penn group 27 (that was the size that came in my boat) in the dual-purpose variety, and got low voltage alarms on my 200 pro xs. I went to o'reillys and bought their store brand marine batteries, which is also made by East Penn. But this was a marine cranking battery. Not a single low-voltage alarm since I installed it. Just my results, so take them with a grain of salt.

I've always elected to go flooded cell myself. Had good luck with them for over 40 years, and overall they save a lot of money. I generally get 4-5 years of service from a cranking battery or from the TM batteries. At under $100 bucks per battery, that is 300 bucks every 4 - 5 years. The expensive AGM types can go for beyond $300 per battery. Unless they last for 12-15 years they end up costing more. I don't know of anyone that gets that kind of life out of a battery, so I go with what is practical.
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbeason View Post
    We started it at the mechanics yesterday. Started at 12v, Dropped to 7 volts with starting the motor but jumped right back to 12+ and gained from there. I dropped it off at Master Battery, where I got it from and they said they would charge it and do their own load test and get back with me. Hopefully they take care of me. So, should I look for a “STARTING” battery as oppose to “dual purpose” that JUST meets requirements?
    What all are you running off your start battery other than you engine?

FWIW the PM-1 (Odyssey 31-PC2150) in my boat never once gave me an issue, dual purpose AGM, 1150CCA/1370MCA, 205minsRC. It lasted 5yrs before failing to maintain a charge just a couple months ago. It will be replaced with another AGM with the same cranking specs and 4yr warranty.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

17. Member
    2 depth finders and the livewell pumps. Again, the issue only happens at the initial startup (last time out and when I took it to the mechanics) Seems like the motor is charging the battery fine because I had no issues the rest of the day. I did test my Minn Kota on board charger and it was putting out power on all 3 banks. Now the battery has been sufficient since I got it last summer. The issue has only arose within the past week.

18. Member
    Very first start of the day is the hardest one. Motor is stone cold. Oil in the crankcase journals, on cylinder walls, in bearings, is cold. Makes the motor harder to turn over. Mine was doing this with a weaker battery. Now cranks fine below freezing.
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

19. Member
    Batteries Plus Bubs X2 Power SLI31AGMDPM. I used to have low voltage issues in the winter. Replaced with this battery and it's 1150 CCA a little over a year ago and zero issues since. Best decision I made as far as batteries go.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250L Pro XS TM
    SER# 2B575047

20. Member
    $399?! I guess you get what you pay for