Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Phoenix trailers

I love my Phoenix boat but I have to say I'm not in love with the trailer. First of all in the 2nd season the trailer roller completely fell apart. I replaced it with one of the orange rollers. Last season, the 3rd season I had the boat, the carpet on the long middle bunks starting ripping exposing the wood. No way that should happen that soon with weekend use. Very disappointing.

2. Member
    My old trailer has real good carpet after the 29 years I've owned it. The trailer was built in 1987 for the 1988 model year. I've owned it since March of 1989. They just don't make stuff like they use to.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    I hear you! It is small things like the carpet ripping which was actually caused by a trailer not properly assembled. I noticed when I moved bunks to correct on a 3 year old boat that the wood was already getting soft. I have not replaced bunks completely with gatorbacks and done several small mods to make it 1, 2, 3 simple to load.

On a positive note, my mid- 90's rangertrail can't touch my marinemaster when towing. The bird tows like a dream
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Quality seems on par with other mass produced trailers - but this thing absolutely tows like a dream!
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

5. Member
    I'm thinking that the TRAILER is just fine, but the quality of the CARPET isn't all that great, or it would last longer than 3 years.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

6. Member
    Mine is 5 years old and still in good shape. With that said though I do plan on replacing the bunks this year.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edwards View Post
    I'm thinking that the TRAILER is just fine, but the quality of the CARPET isn't all that great, or it would last longer than 3 years.
    Mine was being stressed by the need to power load a little too much. Some of my carpets still looked in great shape when first tore
    2024 Phoenix 818

8. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    This was my biggest concern leaving the brand i just did who made their own trailers. I see this year skeeter now does so maybe one day phoenix will
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

9. Member
    Go to gatorbacks

I also hate our trailers, mine has a tremendous amount of slop in the bolt and pivot pin of the swing away tongue. Also it has been a squeaky mess every time I pull it out and I’ve looked under it twice and have yet to find any grease fittings on any of the pivoting hardware. I really am starting to miss the boatmates I was used to pulling for sure.

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy View Post
    I also hate our trailers, mine has a tremendous amount of slop in the bolt and pivot pin of the swing away tongue
    Mine is the same way.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. Scraps
    I'm with yah, not loving the trailer. My last boat was a Ranger so maybe an unfair comparison cuzz that trailer was top notch. I haven't had any issues other than one light burning out, but it's just not a Ranger or BCB trailer. I would just bite the bullet and put the Gatorbaks on. I did that first year I owned this Phoenix.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

13. Member
    Two things I miss about my Ranger is the trailer and the cover, other then that I love my Phoenix!!
    2021 Phoenix 921 Elite/Mercury 250 Pro XS

14. Banned
    Id like to re do my boards with the composite deck material with gator backs on top is there any reason that wouldnt work?

15. Member
    when I was researching bunk material the "internet" did not like it based on low strength as I recall.
    2024 Phoenix 818

16. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjoldersma View Post
    Id like to re do my boards with the composite deck material with gator backs on top is there any reason that wouldnt work?
    Yeah, don't think the deck material has the strength of wood. The bunks do flex a bit when loaded. Just buy some new boards, router the edges and have 'em all prepped out. Then go to some quiet ramp, dunk the boat and swap the boards. What I did and it was pretty quick. Biggest issues was spending $40 on a router bit that I used once.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

17. Member
    I could fill up all of BBC with the issues I've had with my trailer. Short of is that I'm on my 3rd complete set of axles, broken leaf springs, hubs going out, brakes locking up. I hate this freaking thing. Half of the back seat of my truck is filled up with tools to fix this piece of crap on the fly.
    Lesson to anyone who is looking at purchasing something like a boat. Buy it in you own state. When I consulted a lawyer about a lawsuit against Marine Master, he said that I could sue them in the state where I bought it (NC) or the state where it was manufactured (TN) but not in the state where I live (LA). So I let them send me another set of axles.
    UFP (axle company) has been great to deal with though. I just think there is something wrong with the frame.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Copydude View Post
    I could fill up all of BBC with the issues I've had with my trailer. Short of is that I'm on my 3rd complete set of axles, broken leaf springs, hubs going out, brakes locking up. I hate this freaking thing. Half of the back seat of my truck is filled up with tools to fix this piece of crap on the fly.
    Lesson to anyone who is looking at purchasing something like a boat. Buy it in you own state. When I consulted a lawyer about a lawsuit against Marine Master, he said that I could sue them in the state where I bought it (NC) or the state where it was manufactured (TN) but not in the state where I live (LA). So I let them send me another set of axles.
    UFP (axle company) has been great to deal with though. I just think there is something wrong with the frame.
    so sorry to hear. my issue have been very minor compared to yours. I would talk to Phoenix not who they subcontract with
    2024 Phoenix 818

WOW ... That's all I can say when reading this post. I have a 2011 and have had ZERO problems with my trailer. It took a few times to learn how to load the boat without going under the bow roller, but I got that figured out. The carpet is still in great shape, and it pulls like a dream. I have never used the swing away tongue, so mine is tight just like the day I got it. Don't know if they have changed the quality of the trailer or if I'm just lucky. Hope they haven't changed it, because if I ever decide to get another boat, it will definitely be another PHOENIX.

20. Member
    I agree with most above. The trailers are not the same quality and craftsmanship as the boats. The gatorhyde coating is one of the sloppiest of all other brands out there. Skeeter and Ranger has a better looking coating that doesnt look like it was applied with a spray can after everything was assembled. On mine the coating was peeling off several places and rusting real bad where it did. I had to constantly touch up with some black paint. The coating should be standard with clear over, cause without the trailer looks terrible in a short amount of time. My wiring also looks like it was done by a ten year old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast