Thread: Red River

Red River

Hey folks. I am coming down in April to fish the Ray Scott Championship as a co-angler. Not sure if I will get to prefish any so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to throw out some ideas on baits to bring. Any certain colors? Plastics? Topwater?
    Thanks a bunch
    Tracy

2. Member
    Haven't been on the Red in quite a while, but from what I have heard it has really changed due to floods. Little to no grass. When there was grass, the Ribbitts/Horny Toads were usually good. April was always a good spinnerbait month for us. We also fished the Baby Brush Hog type lures. Before they were discontinued, I liked the Reaction (not R Innovations) Gator Pup in the color "Aiyiyi". It was a a watermelon with several different colored glitter in it. And ALWAYS dipped tail in Chart. Garlic Spike-it. Watermelon Red when they stopped making the Gator Pups. Also, I would take a few crankbaits...square bills and probably nothing deeper than a Bandit 300 or something similar.

Interested in hearing what Jeremy or someone else who lives that way and fishes it now has to say.

3. Member
    Thanks a ton

4. Member
    I will down there for the Ray Scott also. What are the best places to stay in Bossier City?

5. Member
    Red river bass love tramp stamp sweet beavers...I do know that!!

6. Member
    Where is the tournament out of? If you need to stay in Bossier, you might want to send Aaron Zietler (badazztriton). He lives in that area and could probably help you out on motels that might have electrical outlets, etc. If the tournament is out of Red River South (not sure if it is even open or if it got sold), it might be just as close to stay in Coushatta. There is one or two motels there but they are NOT the Hilton...lol.

7. Member
    Hey now!! We have a practically brand new motel in Coushatta! Lol! Red River South Marina is still open and if launching there that's where I'd stay. The river will be shot for a while now though being the current prediction is 31' for the crest early next week with more rain coming.

8. Member
    Odd but the fish will still bite. Fished an ABA tournament last year and the river had been really high not long before. I think the water level dropped 7 feet in 4 or 5 days which changed the fish some but it still took 20 to win. Think they had a high school tournament too that it took well over 20. If you like a jig..try blk/brn/amber with a blk/blue trailer. Maybe a black/neon creature bait if you use soft plastics.

9. Member
    Sorry about that RR...lol. I haven't been through your fair city in a while so I had no idea!