Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Turtle creek story

Outdoor Indiana magazine has a short story,
    Here is a quote; over the past nine years, Hoosier Energy has stocked an average of 100,000 largemouth bass per year.
    Those stocked ranged from 4-10".
    Just throwing that out there.

2. Member
    they open the 10th if what the guard told me is still true . I talked to him last fall. He stressed to watch weather before coming to the lake if wind over ten mph better call to see if lake would be open.

I believe fishing starts Feb 12. The 11th is the last day of waterfowl season. Also 20 mph sustained winds is when they close the lake.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

Nobody ever answers the phone there........

5. Member
    Is it horsepower restricted or a speed limit lake?

6. Member
    They have turned it into idle zone lake on anything over
    10hp. They killed most of grass and bass fishing went down
    and cat fishing went up. Have not fished it in several years
    maybe someone else will add something.

7. Member
    I ve been there once, about 20 years ago.
    Although I didn't know it then that was about the time of the catfish explosion.
    i spoke with Dave Kittaka, ( biologist for that district), about a year ago. He said that Hoosier Energy, had their own biologist and they were trying to get a handle on several issues.
    IMO, the hot water is awesome in the winter, it's a killer in the summer. Weeds, you name it.

I figured I'll go once more, who knows they'll prob convert it to a different fuel or shut it down, and that will be the end of it.
    I'll be chasing crappies.

Quote Originally Posted by rude150 View Post
    I ve been there once, about 20 years ago.
    Although I didn't know it then that was about the time of the catfish explosion.
    i spoke with Dave Kittaka, ( biologist for that district), about a year ago. He said that Hoosier Energy, had their own biologist and they were trying to get a handle on several issues.
    IMO, the hot water is awesome in the winter, it's a killer in the summer. Weeds, you name it.

I figured I'll go once more, who knows they'll prob convert it to a different fuel or shut it down, and that will be the end of it.
    I'll be chasing crappies.
    2 biggest crappies I've ever caught came from there. 18 1/2 and 18 3/4". Wife has caught one bigger than either of them at ky lake.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

9. Member
    Just talked to Bill at TC. Fishing will open at 0600 on the 12th since they have no late season waterfowl this year. Take some advice from an old man that has fished TC since it opened, do heed the wind warnings. Don't think that you will be totally safe just because you have a big fiberglass boat. It doesn't take much wind to create dangerous waves here. I have seen a strong sudden wind change to the north over run boats at the ramp beating the heck out of them. Bass fishing is returning. Crappie are hard to come by but nice when catch them. Bad news is that Asian carp are there now too, not many yet. Likely pumped from river in make up water. I have had three close calls on the water, two of them were at TC before the warning siren was installed. Have fun and go home to your family.

Back in the early 90s i saw several aluminum boats sunk at the ramp. Wind can be brutal there.

11. Member
    Thanks for the update Whaler2.

12. Member
    Anyone remember max depth there?
    Thx.

13. Member
    Some of the coves are 30 feet or so near the dam and some in high 20s on main lake. You can be running in 20s and be in 3 feet or less the next moment even in what appears to be open water. That is one reason the wind creates such big rollers quickly. Places that use to be 10 to 15 deep many years ago are now 6 feet or less. Nice to be able to use big boats now even at an idle limit. Been seeing some big boats getting on plane. Just a matter time to they get put off the lake. Private lake so follow their rules.

14. Member
    What wind speed makes or breaks getting on TC?

15. Member
    20 had been the recommended limit for years. However after so many incidents and drownings last year, a siren was installed and sounds at a substained 20 mph wind. Once it sounds, fisherman are supposed to make their way off the lake. Common sense and PFD could have prevented last years death. Smaller aluminum boats was the normal for years. Still see some for cat fishing but mostly big bass boats now. I saw a fiberglass bass boat over run with water the same day we spiked a roller and took on water. Wind came up suddenly. Guy had an engine failure. That was before cell phones and new weather apps but we got hit a sudden wind last year that would have bad in a small boat.

Depends on direction, I never liked fishing it 15 and above. But I was always in a 14' flat bottom.

I may go down and try it this spring. I used to just rent a boat in green/Sullivan and fish all over in same trip.

Opening day. Hope we get a report!!

18. Member
    Is there a dock, at TC?
    Thx

19. Banned
    Yes there are docks at TC. Fairly shallow at the ramps as a FYI.

Going Monday. Looks like the wind will be 20mph.. From the south. I feel confident in the boat, but will they let us fish? What i remember from wayy back is that the south wind was bad for TM only or small gas motors but the north wind was the killer. Seemed like a north wind beat all the boats against the bank when we had tournaments. South wind doesnt seem bad if you can use a big motor to idle. Caught alot of bass back in the day with a south wind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast