Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B_Thompson View Post
    If built correctly that same thing applies to every rod. Knowing the static bend of the rod and placing the guides accordingly is also a big plus.
    Agreed, that is a good point, but wanted to let everyone know the critical points of the Microwave Guides.

2. Member
    Ya know the thing about the microwaves that I actually find kind of funny is why even have a casting set? I get the concept for spinning...the big outer part of the guide corrals the line loops coming off of a spinning reel and sort of funnels them through the middle smaller guide...but your line comes off a baitcaster without those loops, goes straight for the most part (maybe a little up and down line slap) plus the first "guide" that your line goes through is on your baitcasting reel...all you really have to do is come up with a stripper that has the right height in relation to your reel.

Seems like that outer ring on the casting Microwaves is just added weight.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin387 View Post
    This is incorrect. The official Microwave set-up is from reel spool to the stripper guide. As I stated in my first post, this is the most important thing when installing these on a rod. Plus, you really need to know the reel your going to use as well as there is a dimension from blank to center of spool that needs to be considered as well.
    I'll take your word for it and stand corrected as far as what the "official" instructions for setting up a Microwave guide system, says. As I said previously. I've never used them or read the instructions that come with the actual kit. I based my post on information provided on Mud Hole's web site. That information gives the tip top as the reference point for the guide layout.

Honestly, I tried finding the official instructions on line, prior to posting the paragraph you quoted. No luck. I couldn't even find it through American Tackle's web site.

My opinion of them still stands though. They may be easy to set up, and they may work very well, but that doesn't mean they're the best thing going. I use fluorocarbon line, and even though I use Tatsu (one of the most supple fluorocarbon lines I've ever used) the center guide of the stripper is a #6 ..... that's small for the butt guide on a casting rod, let alone a spinning rod.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Ya know the thing about the microwaves that I actually find kind of funny is why even have a casting set? I get the concept for spinning...the big outer part of the guide corrals the line loops coming off of a spinning reel and sort of funnels them through the middle smaller guide...but your line comes off a baitcaster without those loops, goes straight for the most part (maybe a little up and down line slap) plus the first "guide" that your line goes through is on your baitcasting reel...all you really have to do is come up with a stripper that has the right height in relation to your reel.

Seems like that outer ring on the casting Microwaves is just added weight.

Food for thought - Why does fuji also have a KR theory for casting guides? If you watch the video fuji does on the kr theory, they explain that they recommend a 10df and a 5.5df then the runners for their KR theory to tame the line. The microwave does the same thing but with the one guide, so it ends up being a little less weight. But, in the greater scheme of things, the way the line comes off the spool, you do not see as much impact as you would with the spinning microwaves. I have built, and several others have too, casting rods with size 4 all the way with great results.

AmTac has come out with some new tornado guides that appear similar to the fuji kr stuff. I haven't had a chance to try the out yet. On casting, my typically build is usually a 8 or 7 df, 5 or 5.5 df, then the runners, usually a 5 nowdays. I typically use the microwaves on spinning, but do not use them as much on casting. It really just depends on the build.

here is the fuji video talking about taming the line on casting - around the 5:10 mark. Hope you're doing well.

Cool video.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    I've seen that video before, and like and applaud Fuji for using fluorocarbon line as their test base. Pretty much any guide is going to pass a supple line acceptably. It's when the lines get stiffer is where the problems can begin.

As for a casting guide set up, I can't see how the microwave casting guide system is any better than what the Fuji video showed. I doubt the line even touches the outer ring on a Microwave casting guide.

Personally, for casting rods I still go with the traditional 3 double foot guide reduction train. I use Fuji LN guides and go with a 10 for the butt guide, followed by and LN 8 and an LN 6. The LN 10 is very close to being the same height as the KW 10. I realize the double foot 8 and 6 weighs more, and that weight in the guide train has the biggest effect on rod performance, but the way I look at it is that the weight is in powerful section of the blank, and the double foot 6 carries more height further down the rod blank, which can eliminate the need for at least 1 and maybe 2 running guides. I use 4.5s as running guides because I never use a leader, so no need to pass a knot.

About the only problems I get from using 4.5 runners and tip top is that my old eyes sometimes struggle to see clearly when threading line through the guides, and when stuff floating on the surface of the water clings to your line, it can clog your guides. The folks that fish around cotton wood trees surely know what I mean.

Has everybody seen these videos?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

8. Member
    CarrotStix uses them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12