Thread: Bond yields

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bond yields

If the market is going down due to inflation and interest rate fears then why are utility stocks up today? Makes no sense.

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I think the selling started with funds re-balancing at the end of the month, which triggered some technical sell signals for traders, now add the memo being released which leads to gov't turmoil and could lead to bigger issues like the upcoming deadline to keep the govt open. I think this all leads to buying opportunities. None of this stuff will affect earnings growth and an improving economy.

BUT.... remember QE1,2,3 and beyond. All that QE is being unwound, slowly, but will still be a factor going forward.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    If the market is going down due to inflation and interest rate fears then why are utility stocks up today? Makes no sense.
    Could be a simple flight to safety. Although rates are rising they are still quite low.

4. Member
    It’s just weird how utilities have been hammered lately and then don’t drop in tandem with the market. I was hoping these higher rates would really knock them down more. I wanted to pickup Dominion if the yield got above 5 percent.

5. Member
    This week is starting to look like 2008 again. I just took my 2018 RMD yesterday and moved it to Vanguard. # Losing

6. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    bottom
    Thanos was the hero

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    bottom
    Maybe not. I have my eye on a couple of things I want to buy. Home depot being one of them.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    bottom
    One guy on the financial channel said that this volatility is going to continue. He said that the market is oversold, plus all of the problems in Washington are causing it. He also blamed the increase in Fed bond rates along with inflation.

9. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I know its stupid..........but................

the financial crisis bottom was 666 in the SPX..........today the Dow was down 665.75, pretty close.

There's alot of superstition in the markets. Something to watch and chuckle or cry about.
    Thanos was the hero

10. Member
    Down 10K today and that is a portfolio that is supposedly moderate risk. I guess at 74 years old, when it goes back up a little I should get out. Only problem is, where can I make 4% to cover my RMD’s?

11. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    Down 10K today and that is a portfolio that is supposedly moderate risk. I guess at 74 years old, when it goes back up a little I should get out. Only problem is, where can I make 4% to cover my RMD’s?
    there are plenty of different types of stocks that pay a dividend. But do you want the risk associated with a stock for your age. Thats the question.
    Thanos was the hero

12. Member
    When the market sells off like that then typically everything goes down. Luckily such severe selloffs don’t happen very often. The only safe place for the most part was cash.

13. Member
    If you are looking for income and not as concerned with the gains or drops in the stock price there are some utilities like duke, dominion, southern company and ppl whose yields are over 4 percent. Or you could look at a utility etf like VPU but I don’t think the yield on that is over 4 percent yet. These stock prices will likely fall some more if interest rates rise since these are almost like bonds but if you find one that projects dividened increases like dominion it may be a good bet. This may be something to discuss with your financial advisor if you are looking for income.

14. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Did I miss a headline somewhere?

Either way I'm putting money to work today.
    Thanos was the hero

15. Member
    Sure seems like there is enough panic and blood right now to get in a few I have been watching.

16. Member
    Still waiting on my buy list to drop more. Utilities don’t seem to be dropping enough.

17. Member
    The computers are selling now. Will they stop the exchange before 4?

18. Banned
    If your down 10 today then you went up 30-40 in the last month.. no big deal, stay off the stupid train and youll be fine.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjoldersma View Post
    If your down 10 today then you went up 30-40 in the last month.. no big deal, stay off the stupid train and youll be fine.
    Yep look at a 5 year chat instead of 1 year chart and it doesn’t look so bad.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    Yep look at a 5 year chat instead of 1 year chart and it doesn’t look so bad.
    Honestly I hate to over simplify it because people on the net dont seem to like that or facts posted....

BUT you cant go look at the whole history of the dow and find it down two dates 20 years apart period... basically the dips are small and short and the rises are longer.

I lost 10k friday, 23k today.. no big deal, there were days I was making 10k at a time for day after day in the last month or so. Its only a loss if you CASH out like the dummies do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast