Thread: 496 Trim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

496 Trim

Finally got the time and weather to get the boat out for a lengthy trip yesterday. I have no idea of current motor height, but I noticed that very very little trim causes a high rooster tail. Like on the smartcraft gauge, anything over 2 on the digital trim gauge seems to start throwing a big rooster tail. The boat seems to have respectable hole shot and run pretty good, but I've owned a lot of boats and I've never had 1 that only need just a couple of bumps on trim to run. Most of what I've seen on here over the years is Charger/Merc combo's run best in the 3-3.5" P2P range. Usually that height leaves you plenty of trim potential. Looking for some feedback from 496 owners on P2P #'s and normal trim influence. If I had to guess based purely on my history with trim and motor height over several boat brands and several heights , I'd bet I'm currently in the 1.5-2" range. The boat does seem to have decent lift though, but I don't know what is normal for the 496.

2. Banned
    3 1/2" is the starting point go up from there. 1-1/2"-2" sounds way too high to me but I've never set up a 496.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    3 1/2" is the starting point go up from there. 1-1/2"-2" sounds way too high to me but I've never set up a 496.
    I would agree, but I'm not saying that's where I'm at. Just guessing based on the very minimal trim that it takes to be throwing a big rooster tail. Usually boats in 3.5" range, you can bump trim several times before getting to optimal running angle. I get maybe 2 shorts bumps and I'm throwing cowling tall rooster tail.

4. Member
    Sensitivity to trim was the first thing I noticed when I got my 496. I will need to check where I finally landed on the prop to pad #.
    2014 Charger 496 / Merc 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    Mine is about 3" below pad, but needs to go higher I think.

Can't remember where I ended up at in regards to prop to pad. I did play with it a lot though to try and get it to run the best. The way it is set up it doesn't like a ton of trim though. Get it trimmed up too much and you will slow the boat down. I felt it had plenty of lift though and I had the boat loaded down with tackle.

If it isn't set up the way you want; I would start by lowering it and 1/8th-1/4 inch at a time and see what it does for you.

Don't get hung up on how much trim you can use; it is more important how a boat runs compared to being able to trim it to the moon.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro-Hunt View Post
    Can't remember where I ended up at in regards to prop to pad. I did play with it a lot though to try and get it to run the best. The way it is set up it doesn't like a ton of trim though. Get it trimmed up too much and you will slow the boat down. I felt it had plenty of lift though and I had the boat loaded down with tackle.

If it isn't set up the way you want; I would start by lowering it and 1/8th-1/4 inch at a time and see what it does for you.

Don't get hung up on how much trim you can use; it is more important how a boat runs compared to being able to trim it to the moon.
    Thanks. I agree. Just thought it was unusual (not necessarily wrong). The Bass Cat Im coming from didn’t like a lot of trim, but it still needed quite a bit more than the 496 with digital trim gauge (5-6) compared to just 2. I’ll measure P2P next time just out of curiosity and report back.

8. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    496 will need to be at 21/2 to 23/4 with a good Tempest and trimmed all the way up with cowl high or lower rooster tail.If the prop cant bite you'll throw big ass tail no matter where you put the motor.The 496 is a good lifter and will feel very loose and light once it comes up on pad.

9. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    496 will need to be at 21/2 to 23/4 with a good Tempest and trimmed all the way up with cowl high or lower rooster tail.If the prop cant bite you'll throw big ass tail no matter where you put the motor.The 496 is a good lifter and will feel very loose and light once it comes up on pad.Its totally different feel than a cat.

10. Member
    Thanks. As I said, it’s got respectable hole shot for dual 10’ talons and I have hit 72 both times without really airing it out so WOT is about where it should be. The boat does feel much lighter than I expected in the upper 1/2 of speed range. I was expecting it to drive closer to the 2 champs I had.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    496 will need to be at 21/2 to 23/4 with a good Tempest and trimmed all the way up with cowl high or lower rooster tail.If the prop cant bite you'll throw big ass tail no matter where you put the motor.The 496 is a good lifter and will feel very loose and light once it comes up on pad.
    This^^^ IIRC, I’m at 2 3/4” below pad with a 25 Tempest Plus. I give it tons of trim and my rooster tail is below the top of the cowling. My boat feels very light when up on pad properly, yet very controllable. It gets a lot of lift and does require some driver input.

496 will need to be at 21/2 to 23/4 with a good Tempest and trimmed all the way up with cowl high or lower rooster tail.If the prop cant bite you'll throw big ass tail no matter where you put the motor.The 496 is a good lifter and will feel very loose and light once it comes up on pad.Its totally different feel than a cat.
    TOC is spot on, that's where I am at. Medium load me and partner hit 74.4.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy Rod View Post
    TOC is spot on, that's where I am at. Medium load me and partner hit 74.4.
    TOC is a wise man. But mostly full of chit!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abianca99 View Post
    This^^^ IIRC, I’m at 2 3/4” below pad with a 25 Tempest Plus. I give it tons of trim and my rooster tail is below the top of the cowling. My boat feels very light when up on pad properly, yet very controllable. It gets a lot of lift and does require some driver input.
    So you are at 2 3/4 and have the ability to trim quite a bit? The curiosity is killing me. I might have to make a trip to storage today.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    So you are at 2 3/4 and have the ability to trim quite a bit? The curiosity is killing me. I might have to make a trip to storage today.
    I believe that is correct but I have to check. There was a video of me running my boat on here somewhere. I’ll see if I can find the thread. You’ll notice I have very little rooster tail and my gps speed is 77+. It is also lots of trim as well

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    Agreed

17. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

18. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    do you have a man crush on him?

20. Member
    Yes. This is the video. I am trimmed up pretty far. My set up likes a lot of trim. I have a 10” jp as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast