Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I decided to install the back-up lights along with all new LED trailer lights. The first time I used them in the dark was a jaw dropping event. I should have installed them years ago. I installed 2 USA made LED strip lights. 11 bulbs in each strip. I paid $25.00 for the two of them.
    The second photo shows how well the truck back-up lights illuminate the trailer. They do not interfere with being able to see the area behind the trailer.
    Third photo shows the field of vision the trailer back-up lights provide.
    Those little photos don't a give decent image of how they actually look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    PhotoPictureResizer_190228_191644593-1000x1000.jpg

Mounted these, from Walmart, house brand. I think they where $20 each. 6 led on each light.

3. Member
    What the hell kinda boat is that jk. Show pics of the lights

Quote Originally Posted by tomoad View Post
    Curious on how you wired them up. So you tapped into the blue wire for power and added a switch to trailer to turn off & on?
    My trailer has surge brakes which have a lockout feature so that when the truck is in reverse, there's a blue wire that's hot that runs to a solenoid on my brake actuator that prevents the brakes from engaging so I can actually back up. The blue wire runs runs through the wiring harness and is tied into the white backup lights on the truck. Most folks with surge brakes just tie the hot wire from your new lights into the blue wire near the brake actuator. Then any time you are in reverse, the blue light is hot, the solenoid disengages the brakes, and the lights come on.

Between the blue wire tie-in and the lights I added this switch:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AWR6NCY
    with a dab of silicone under it to hold it in place. So I need reverse + the switch turned on to get my new lights to come on.

One way or another, you need 12v to power the lights. If you have a flat 4 wire plug, you could switch over the 5 wire flat plugs which adds the blue wire. On the truck tie the blue wire to the reverse lights. On the trailer, tie the blue wire to your new lights. It's a surge brake wiring setup without actually powering a surge break lockout solenoid. When you're in reverse the lights are powered. And you can also add a trailer mounted switch like I did if you want.

Gary, that's one hell of a tire you have on your rig.
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Nice setup!! What brand are those? Same as posted above?
    Yes, same as above I believe. Like $10 on ebay. Been working for years now. Remote switch/dimmer was $5 or $10.

Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    Yes, same as above I believe. Like $10 on ebay. Been working for years now. Remote switch/dimmer was $5 or $10.
    Like the system. Any additional info for the remote system? Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12