Thread: Wilson lake

Wilson lake

Anyone have any info about wilson? I've never been but was thinking about going next weekend maybe. Is it worth the drive? Navionics makes it look fairly deep and easy to run. Where should is a good place to launch? Does TVA lower it in the winter? Anything to be mindful of?

2. Member
    Wilson is down about a foot at this time and some of the pockets and coves are quite shallow but there is plenty of fishable water. The main lake is deep and usually clear, several boat ramps around the lake. Seems to have been a sizeable shad kill in the past couple of weeks with the cold water temps from the snow and ice. Always have to be careful around the Wheeler Dam area but especially with the lower water levels. Nice lake, great place to fish. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. I live on Wilson.
    2006 Ranger 520VX w 225 Mercury optimax
    He who knows not, and knows not, that he knows not, is a Fool.
    Alabama....Roll Tide!!!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry201pro View Post
    Wilson has some nice brown fish! Swimbait and rig around tail race can score big!
    Brown fish are what I'm looking for! Hows the fishing right now? It's coming down to Chick or Wilson, and the chick reports are not really good.

Wilson has some nice brown fish! Swimbait and rig around tail race can score big!
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

5. Member
    Wilson is fishing a little tough right now. Give us some decent weather and the old brown fish will be on big time. If you want to catch a big brown fish wait about a month. Take heed to the warnings about being below Wheeler Dam. You can get on a rock up there in a hurry but that is the best place to catch a big brown fish. Throw an A-rig with swim baits r grubs on a Johnston Lures A-Rig swim bait head.

6. Member
    Does the channel go right up the dam? I'm assuming there is a lock for barges? It would have be deep enough for them to move through. I have a RT188 so going shallow isn't a problem, as long as I can up close I can troll or idle over.

7. Banned
    Bassackwards: You can be here from Franklin in 1 hr. 45 minutes. You really need to check out the area.

I have a house on Wilson 6 miles from Pickwick and 10 miles from Wheeler Dam. Not many places you have access to 3 great lakes so close.

Wilson Lake is wide and deep--55 feet deep in front of my boathouse and over a mile wide. Much of the lake is rock bottom and relatively clear for a running river. All the sloughs and creeks have ledges to fish. More 5 lb. and larger smallmouth have come from the upper end of Wilson than any other lake.

I was by there 2 days ago and the water was at max winter low level--maybe 3 1/2 feet below full pool. This is TVAs biggest electricity producing dam, and they can move water levels up and down in a day or less. You can still put a boat in at our fine ramps and most water is safe depths to run in.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Bassackwards: You can be here from Franklin in 1 hr. 45 minutes. You really need to check out the area.

I have a house on Wilson 6 miles from Pickwick and 10 miles from Wheeler Dam. Not many places you have access to 3 great lakes so close.

Wilson Lake is wide and deep--55 feet deep in front of my boathouse and over a mile wide. Much of the lake is rock bottom and relatively clear for a running river. All the sloughs and creeks have ledges to fish. More 5 lb. and larger smallmouth have come from the upper end of Wilson than any other lake.

I was by there 2 days ago and the water was at max winter low level--maybe 3 1/2 feet below full pool. This is TVAs biggest electricity producing dam, and they can move water levels up and down in a day or less. You can still put a boat in at our fine ramps and most water is safe depths to run in.
    I've been to Wheeler and Pickwick a bunch of times. Never been to Wilson, so I thought I'd give it a try.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Does the channel go right up the dam? I'm assuming there is a lock for barges? It would have be deep enough for them to move through. I have a RT188 so going shallow isn't a problem, as long as I can up close I can troll or idle over.
    hard to explain pull up Google earth and you will see how it is. there is a barge canal on one end but you fish the other end