Banned

Waves in a boat....Safety Questions

ive done a ton of googling and youtubing for boat safety and boat driving info....but there were a few things I wasnt able to figure out. Plus...some of the recent events have me wanting to ask instead of just learning on the go.

Im in a tracker that tops out at about 30mph. So thats prolly important. Basically my understanding of riding waves is perpendicular is best and TRIM down so the boat has more "to grip"....unless the waves get really huge and you need to keep the nose up to avoid water in the boat. Right?

Now im wondering...what do I do if I spear a wave? and is there anything I can do to avoid spearing waves....figure its just finding the fine balance of trim down+nose upping just enough? Ive read that if you spear a wave bad it can effect the boat operating (i.e. wont start)....anything to do if in that situation? Im in a 17 foot tracker...im not planning to be out there on those days.....but weathermen in the southwest are absolute garbage! Theyve become complacent just saying "its gonna be hot" daily and are terrible forecasters! lol My home lake gets choppy too....so Im trying to think for that just in case situation.

2nd thing. How do you handle "rogue" type parallel waves that kinda just pop up? Ive been doing OK riding the waves so far by basically just staying perpendicular to them...but one thing ive noticed is that occasionally youll get some waves coming from a completely different direction, usually pretty parallel to the direction im traveling. Guessing the waves might be the left over wakes from boats or just funky gusts that pop up enough to churn the water up in a different direction? No idea....but its something ive noticed. Waves coming at me perpendicular and then all of a sudden I got some side to side motion from waves coming at me from my sides.

Figure seat time can get me most of my answers....but these situations seems dangerous, and im alone 99% of the time....so dont wanna learn on the fly...aka end up swimming! Thanks.

2. Member
    There's a a clip of Gerald Swindle showing you how to ride thru chop by using you your throttle and what not. Might want to check that out.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Trimming down is more for when you are still on plane in moderate waves. Once they get too big for that, you want to trim up some. That way you can raise the bow by goosing the throttle a little. Once you start going up and down waves, you need to be controlling the throttle constantly. You don't want to catch the next wave while still pointing down from the previous. You'll spear it and it can push you back into the previous wave.

You always have the option to wait it out someplace calm. I was out several years ago when an afternoon wind kicked up and many people were in bays asking for rides to go get their trucks. Worth it.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Banned
    saw the gman vid and it was definitely a great watch....and where I actually realized (and it made sense since id been wondering) that some times you need the nose up to keep from spearing.

Makes sense catfan....i have a feeling that once I get that seat time, or whatever they call it for driving your boat more and more, i'll find that balance of where that trim needs to be to get be back to my truck safely.

But now another question.....and keep in mind my boat is a 50hp thats topped out at a (near) lightning like....31.4 MPH! .......Faster or slower when the winds/chop picks up? im thinking "faster" is best for me since im only topping out at 31?

5. Member
    Being that you are in an aluminum boat and are going relatively slow I would say that you need to relax and feel the boat as it rides over the waves. Each time you are out hit waves at a different angle so you understand how your boat reacts, try pushing the envelope a bit each time so you can see what your boat will handle and eventually you will hit waves properly without even realizing you are. Rogue waves are just something that you have to be prepared for. Rogue waves at 30 mph are not near as dangerous as they are at 60+ mph. Just remember that as long as you feel safe with your driving then generally speaking you will be safe. Also remember, there is NOTHING wrong with slowing down and turning around if you feel unsafe while driving a boat.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman469 View Post
    Being that you are in an aluminum boat and are going relatively slow I would say that you need to relax and feel the boat as it rides over the waves. Each time you are out hit waves at a different angle so you understand how your boat reacts, try pushing the envelope a bit each time so you can see what your boat will handle and eventually you will hit waves properly without even realizing you are. Rogue waves are just something that you have to be prepared for. Rogue waves at 30 mph are not near as dangerous as they are at 60+ mph. Just remember that as long as you feel safe with your driving then generally speaking you will be safe. Also remember, there is NOTHING wrong with slowing down and turning around if you feel unsafe while driving a boat.
    Cool man....already on it! Especially pushing it a little more each time to learn the boat more. Thanks for the words! Ill def keep the rogue waves going 30 vs 60 line in mind to help me relax. and ill always turn around and do the safe thing....I almost drowned when I was a kid so I ironically have a fear of water! lol didnt stop me from kayaking open and deep water, and now buying a boat....I feel it gives me a real solid respect for the water....you wont have to tell me to put on a PDF twice!

Another thing that most don't consider is the length of your boat. I had a 17' tracker with a 40hp and had some issues learning how to deal with waves. Boat waves and wind waves can be very different and need to be addressed differently. Some of the bigger waves that come off barges and cabin cruisers can be trouble for a boat under 18'. You have to be on the lookout for those and I would just throttle down and ride it out. Normal boat traffic Waves tend to be more average and short lived so a couple hits and you are passed them and fine. When I got my 17' glass boat and got a little cocky as I could go faster and had a trim so I would practice doing different things until I learned what mine will or won't do. I found that in heavy wind chop where the waves are inconsistent and seem to be never ending a boat with my short length can't ride over them long enough before it starts to catch the next wave and then I am bouncing. A longer boat can match that distance from wave to wave and then you just have to use throttle and trim to deal with the size of the waves. a short and slower boat you have to slow down and not allow it to get to bouncing or catching that wave with the nose down. Best advice is stay out there and work at it.
    2001 Triton TR176DC, Mercury 125hp, Lowrance HDS9 gen3 & HDS7 gen2

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roba22 View Post
    Another thing that most don't consider is the length of your boat. I had a 17' tracker with a 40hp and had some issues learning how to deal with waves. Boat waves and wind waves can be very different and need to be addressed differently. Some of the bigger waves that come off barges and cabin cruisers can be trouble for a boat under 18'. You have to be on the lookout for those and I would just throttle down and ride it out. Normal boat traffic Waves tend to be more average and short lived so a couple hits and you are passed them and fine. When I got my 17' glass boat and got a little cocky as I could go faster and had a trim so I would practice doing different things until I learned what mine will or won't do. I found that in heavy wind chop where the waves are inconsistent and seem to be never ending a boat with my short length can't ride over them long enough before it starts to catch the next wave and then I am bouncing. A longer boat can match that distance from wave to wave and then you just have to use throttle and trim to deal with the size of the waves. a short and slower boat you have to slow down and not allow it to get to bouncing or catching that wave with the nose down. Best advice is stay out there and work at it.

will do! thanks.

im lucky that my lake wont have many/any big boats to deal with....huge pontoons is about the max I see on the waters. I watched a vid of a guy teaching his kid to ride waves....and they cruised right behind a GIANT barge! Glad I dont have to deal with that, cuz those waves were meaty! lol

9. Banned
    I hear ya. I went from a flat bottom river sled to my first bass boat.
    After years of having to kill the throttle at first sight of a wave, I'm not going to lie, being in a bass boat going twice as fast scared the hell out of me and would do the same thing.
    One day I was full throttle heading back to the launch on calm waters when out of nowhere I hit a pretty decent sized swell (no idea where it came from) and to my amazement,I barely felt it.
    I'm still careful but with more and more seat time, I continue to gain confidence while becoming more familiar with how my boat handles certain conditions.
    You'll get there too

10. Member
    A lot of boat owners don't like the hot foot, but in severe lake conditions it can be a life saver over your hand control throttle.

11. Member
    There are arguments for both ways. Hit a big wave, jump it and hit the bottom, slams you down into the bottom of the boat, which causes you to hit WOT with the hot foot, which launches you off the next wave and you beanpole... Best answer is to drive rationally where either throttle control method won't lead to failure.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200