Harley closing KC plant.. Yamaha discontinues Stryker

Harley is closing a plant in Kansas City. I assume they may have built the V-Rod there? Not sure but the article said sales were down 6.7 % last year.
    Makes me wonder when they will realize that the higher the prices go the less people out there that can afford to own one?

Yamaha has canceled production of the Raider and the Stryker, ( which is what I have), and brought out a new touring bike and a second tour type to compete with the street glide I would guess called the Eluder. Ugly as hell in my opinion...

Went to a show last weekend and saw all the new Indian models. One or two that were not bad but I would need to ride one to see how impressive it is before paying $26,000 for it.... ...

Anyone been to a bike show yet? The one I went to was at a HUGE dealership so not really a show other than that's what they called their open house...

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    New bike prices are crazy without a doubt and Harley over the last two years have moved their styling away from their core buyer IMO.

3. Member
    HD sales having been dropping for years. KC production will be moved to the York plant. Two main reasons for the slump:
    1. Safety concerns......Texting drivers, etc etc
    2. Baby boomers are aging (like me) and getting too old to ride.

New electric Harley , and add a new boat with the total electric out board and add a electric car. then live in a total solar powered & combo eclectic grid home. = what ?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    HD sales having been dropping for years. KC production will be moved to the York plant. Two main reasons for the slump:
    1. Safety concerns......Texting drivers, etc etc
    2. Baby boomers are aging (like me) and getting too old to ride.
    Number 1 is spot on! Even in the truck it gets too close for comfort, let alone the bike. Thought many times of selling mine for that reason. Crazy!

I have just been sticking to back road rides. Just don't like the idea of highway runs anymore. People are just stupid with the phones when at highway speeds. Seems like they think there is no issue even though they are doing 80..

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    I have just been sticking to back road rides. Just don't like the idea of highway runs anymore. People are just stupid with the phones when at highway speeds. Seems like they think there is no issue even though they are doing 80..
    That's been my thoughts as well. The only bad thing about back roads is the inability to take evasive action when there's no shoulder. Concern is times infinity when the wife is with me. Nothing concerns me more than her getting hurt...or worse. Stay safe!!

8. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    They made V rods, sportsters, and dynas there. Two of which are no longer made.

Combine that with the drop in sales and something has to give. Harley is on there heels right now and I think they are getting paid back for those years that we had to wait a year on a new bike because that was their marketing scheme. Then dealers charging sometimes 1000's over msrp. Karma is a bitch isn't it Harley!

I think that their their classic design unfortunately isn't going to carry them through. Young people don't want motorcycles anymore. They want cars with loud stereos that thump, the best video gaming devices, and sports. The people that were in to Harley's are getting to old to ride now or will be.

They shut down the KC facility and moved it all to a new facility in Thailand from what I've heard. Not sure if the bikes being built in Thailand are for overseas markets or being shipped back to U.S.

10. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by croix-man View Post
    They shut down the KC facility and moved it all to a new facility in Thailand from what I've heard. Not sure if the bikes being built in Thailand are for overseas markets or being shipped back to U.S.
    just a rumor. They quit making the dynas and v rods. Two factories remain. Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

11. Banned
    Harley is about to get a gigantic tariff on bikes exported to the European countries too. Things are not looking good for them without layoffs and consolidation of factories.

I too love cycles, but at 68 years old I have no wrecks left in my body. I am stuck with a Waverunner to get my jollies.

12. Member
    Prices, 23K or more for a Street Glide, even Sportys are over 10K now. Seriously thinking about selling my Street Bob and getting a V-Star Deluxe, save about 10 grand over the SG.

Quote Originally Posted by croix-man View Post
    The overseas facilities only manufacture for overseas markets. None will be imported into the U.S. Current plants are in Brazil and India, and they'll add the Thailand plant soon.

HD stated overseas manufacturing will ramp up volume with the EU tariffs, but that remains to be seen. I'm not sure how new sales in the EU would be before or after the tariffs.
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.