Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trying to plan a trip/Charlevoix, Burt, or Mullett

Hey guys I知 trying to plan a trip to either Charlevoix, Burt, or Mullett. Want to go either the last week of May or the first week of June or thereabouts. Looking to catch some Smallmouth and just have good fishing trip. Which of these lakes would you all recommend and are those good times to go? I知 also interested in any recommendations as far as nice place to stay. I壇 like to maybe find a house on the lake that would have a boat house as I値l be bringing my boat. Any input you all might have would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

VRBO .... Start looking soon.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. dartag1829
    We are using Homeaway to rent places to stay this winter in Florida. Really happy with there service.

4. Member
    You will have a hard time finding a place with a boathouse in Michigan..Boat houses are a pretty rare sight up here...
    It sounds like Burt and Mullet is going to get busy after memorial day....I would look at Charlevoix, Walloon and Grand Traverse bay...

Quote Originally Posted by EKYRanger View Post
    Hey guys I知 trying to plan a trip to either Charlevoix, Burt, or Mullett. Want to go either the last week of May or the first week of June or thereabouts. Looking to catch some Smallmouth and just have good fishing trip. Which of these lakes would you all recommend and are those good times to go? I知 also interested in any recommendations as far as nice place to stay. I壇 like to maybe find a house on the lake that would have a boat house as I値l be bringing my boat. Any input you all might have would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
    That is an excellent time to fish Charlevoix.

I recommend the upper arm. I launched from Young State Park.

Last time I went, I rented a house from VRBO (or something similar). The house was a few hundred yards off the water, and did not have a dock. When I wanted to take a break in the middle of the day, I would just beach near the house, and tie up to something. I did not leave the boat longer than a couple hours.

6. Member
    The fishing will be good on all of those lakes at that time, no matter which lake that you rent on you can still trailer to all of the other lakes. They're not that far apart. As stated above, start looking for a rental asap.

Thanks guys. Really liking Charlevoix and will likely go there. Looking for a rental now.

we have boat lifts, not houses. Those are pretty common. i've rented a few places on vrbo that had them (covered and uncovered). I usually just trailer because, as mentioned - lots of other lakes in the area and usually the challenge is getting power to your boat to charge it on the dock. The south arm of charlevoix is a good place to stay. There's a really good launch at ironton on the west side by the ferry. Can use it in any weather - main lake can get rough anytime of the year.

Word of advice before renting, check out the house on google satellite - make sure you can get a truck and trailer to it, turned around and parked. Northern michigan cottage roads can be creative sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    we have boat lifts, not houses. Those are pretty common. i've rented a few places on vrbo that had them (covered and uncovered). I usually just trailer because, as mentioned - lots of other lakes in the area and usually the challenge is getting power to your boat to charge it on the dock. The south arm of charlevoix is a good place to stay. There's a really good launch at ironton on the west side by the ferry. Can use it in any weather - main lake can get rough anytime of the year.

Word of advice before renting, check out the house on google satellite - make sure you can get a truck and trailer to it, turned around and parked. Northern michigan cottage roads can be creative sometimes.
    Any recommendations on places to stay near the Ironton area?

there should be a lot of places on VRBO in that area. Even if you're on the east side of the south arm there, its maybe 10min to the ramp. Look around east jordan. i don't know the place we rented last, it was a bit tight, but worked out fine.

The FLW/BFL is going to be on Burt/Mullet June 9th this year. Should be around 100 boats for the tourney. Last time they were up there a lot of guys went up for Memorial day and pre-fished right up to the tournament. I fished that one and went up a day early and got my butt handed to me. As I recall top 20 finishers all had over 20#. The winner had 26 or 28#.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

12. Member
    We were up at Charlevoix towards middle end of May last year for day n half and really enjoyed it. Was last minute trip and went to Burt n Mullet 1st day and caught some but not to well. So decided to try different lake and ended up at Charlevoix. Caught ton of fish just no giants but had great time. Besides the 2 guys that seen us in little cut whacking them and literally came in so close if I woulda dropped my Power Pole it woulda hit front of their boat. Finally as polite as I could be told them to back of. Lol

We fished the upper arm and stayed in nice motel like 2 min from ramp in that little town at East end of the arm.

13. Member
    Try Airbnb as well. They have cheaper fees.

14. Member
    Not to horn in on this thread, but we are planning a brothers trip to Traverse City area around the 2nd week in May.
    So far have narrowed down, if it's possible ya all got a lot of lake choices, down to Torch, Bellaire, Intermediate and
    maybe swinging by Walloon. Any goods or bads about those lakes? We'll be in the area for 4 days trying to hit one a
    day and see what we can pick up. I'm from Ky, one brother from Chicago and another from Denver. Our annual get
    together

15. Member
    They are all good that time of the year. It's all about the weather.

16. Member
    I'll be in Rapid City may 19th thru the 26th fishing skeg, torch and anything else that is looking good.

that time of year - skeg will be busy, but you'll probably find bedding fish (hence why its busy). the other lakes in the chain will not be as busy. Belleaire would be good also. Torch, well, it takes a long time to learn torch, its basically the 3rd traverse bay. Its one of my favorite lakes, but probably not something you'll figure out in a weekend. Walloon or charlevoix would be good also.
    On the big lakes - pay attention to the wind and launch accordingly. Good way to access torch is to launch in clam lake.

Big/little glen lake can be good then also.

Got a house rented in Boyne City for May 27 thru June 3rd. Really looking forward to hopefully catching a few fish with my daughter.

19. Member
    Should be good timing for the front end of the spawn. Currently the lakes still have a thick lid on them.

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate all the responses. Any of the other lakes that you all would particularly recommend? Are there any that traditionally warm up faster than others? As cold as it been in Michigan, I was thinking that some other lakes might be better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast