Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by EKYRanger View Post
    Thanks again guys. I really appreciate all the responses. Any of the other lakes that you all would particularly recommend? Are there any that traditionally warm up faster than others? As cold as it been in Michigan, I was thinking that some other lakes might be better.
    Depending on the wind, I would hit part of the big lake. Either the west or east arm of Grand Traverse Bay (if wind coming from east or west), or Little Traverse Bay (if wind coming from North or South).

2. Member
    With this extremely late spring, everything will obviously be delayed. We still have LOTS of ice on all inland lakes. I don't think we will have open water before May, which is hard to even fathom.

I think you will have pretty good timing. You know they are ready to eat! My personal suggestion will be stick to the lakes. Burt, Mullet, Charlevoix, Walloon should be pretty awesome. Crooked and Pickerel are smaller lakes in Petoskey and will no doubt be warmer. I don't think the Bays will be out of the 40's by then and can be tricky with those temperatures if you don't know what to do.

3. Member
    Nothing says spring like a fresh two foot blanket of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    The FLW/BFL is going to be on Burt/Mullet June 9th this year. Should be around 100 boats for the tourney. Last time they were up there a lot of guys went up for Memorial day and pre-fished right up to the tournament. I fished that one and went up a day early and got my butt handed to me. As I recall top 20 finishers all had over 20#. The winner had 26 or 28#.
    And payback Bass is there the week before. Those two lakes will get hammered from Memorial Day till the BFL.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Any good tackle stores around Boyne or Charlevoix that I should visit while there?

6. Member
    Liberty Tackle

Traverse Bay Tackle

These are both new stores in Traverse City. That's a little bit of a drive, but there isn't much up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by EKYRanger View Post
    Any good tackle stores around Boyne or Charlevoix that I should visit while there?
    Not sure about tackle stores, but when I was up there there the first week of June a couple years ago, there was a Farmer's market in Boyne City where there was fresh Perch filets and Morel Mushrooms for sale.

8. Member
    No good tackle stores.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosmich View Post
    No good tackle stores.
    What happened to Jacks in Kalkaska? That used to be a great store for northern Michigan smallie tackle?!? Used to buy all my kalin grubs there. They had a lot of custom colors you couldn't get anywhere else.

10. Member
    They have some stuff, wouldn't call it a "must stop". We have Jay's in Gaylord and wouldn't say that's great either. They have some decent bass tackle but you can only get the basics.

11. Member
    My parents rent their lake house out on Bass lake up in Traverse City... excellent fishing everywhere.

12. Member
    Tall tails in charlvoix is one store. It may not be the greatest , not sure if they are still open, but I did stop in there and it is manned solely by the disabled as a place for them to get real life job experiences. I have heard nothing but good word on this store. They have been on the news repeatedly, but as I said. Not sure if they are open anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Polock View Post
    Tall tails in charlvoix is one store. It may not be the greatest , not sure if they are still open, but I did stop in there and it is manned solely by the disabled as a place for them to get real life job experiences. I have heard nothing but good word on this store. They have been on the news repeatedly, but as I said. Not sure if they are open anymore.
    That’s great! I’ll see if I can find them and if they are still open I’ll definitely check them out!!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jessemyers View Post
    Not sure about tackle stores, but when I was up there there the first week of June a couple years ago, there was a Farmer's market in Boyne City where there was fresh Perch filets and Morel Mushrooms for sale.
    Fresh Morels and Perch?? I'm going to have to find this place when I am up there in June...Where is it in relation to the Boyne city launch or grocery store??
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Hey guys it's getting closer to my trip and I was just wondering if anyone could update me as to what the conditions of say Charlevoix, Wallon, and Bellaire are currently? Thanks!

16. Member
    The ice just left the lakes last Wednesday and Thursday, the Walleye are biting, water temps in the mid-high 40's but they are warming. You'll be good for your trip.

Thanks Stratosmich!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12