Thread: 175 SHO Prop

175 SHO Prop

Anyone running a Yamaha Pro Series 21 x 14-3/4 prop on a SHO 175 on either a ZX190 or TZX190. I talked to Skeeter factory today and I was told that is the prop they put on the 175 SHO for 190's. What is the performance as far as hole shot and top end speed.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250

2. Member
    My 150 came with a 22P T1 SHO, same large diameter prop the bigger motors run. The 150 has the 2.00 gearcase vs the 1.86 on the 175 I believe, might help having a smaller diameter prop on take off but every SHO I have seen at dealers or the lake has a T1 or now T2 on it.

3. Member
    My motor was one of the first ten 175 SHO's to leave the factory and it came with a SHO/VMAX 22-T1 15-1/8 prop. Based on what the Skeeter tech told me today, they are putting the Pro Series 21 x 14-3/4 prop on any SHO 175's that get rigged on any new ZX190's.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250

4. Member
    My 175sho was one of the first 10 made as well. It is on a 2015 TZX 190. It came with a 22p VMAX SHO prop as well. I love my 175sho. I want to get a 2nd prop for multiple reasons but I think the 21 might be perfect for the hot and humid summers down here in Florida because I loose about 200-300 rpms.

5. Member
    I have the same prop on mine. Did you have a problem with your hole shot and getting on plane? What about porpoising? It's been a nightmare for me.

6. Member
    Holeshot is ok, but I added a hydraulic jackplate when I bought the boat and I feel that has helped the holeshot a bunch. As far as porpoising goes I've noticed I had to learn the boat. If I remember to trim down before slowing down I don't porpoise. It's been a learning experience for sure, I didn't have to worry about that with my old boat.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonBrad View Post
    Holeshot is ok, but I added a hydraulic jackplate when I bought the boat and I feel that has helped the holeshot a bunch. As far as porpoising goes I've noticed I had to learn the boat. If I remember to trim down before slowing down I don't porpoise. It's been a learning experience for sure, I didn't have to worry about that with my old boat.
    I hear a lot about that. "learn to drive the boat" I totally get that. Coming off plane is one thing. But, cruising at 20-35 trimmed all the way down and bouncing like a hobby horse is another thing entirely. My '16 ZX190 is currently at the factory and for the life of me I can't get them to tell me what they think is wrong. I received a generic email stating that the boat arrived and they would let me know when it would be on its way back to my dealer. I see all of Yamaha tests are using a 6" jackplate. Mine has a 12" Hmmm.... Also, the guy thats working on my boat is a Yamaha guy. So I don't know what to think. Obviously, they recognize a problem. Otherwise they wouldn't have asked for my boat make the trip from California to Texas. Thoughts?

8. Member
    That is odd.. I would start with the jackplate. Ask them to test it with a 6" hydraulic jackplate. Mine will run at 30mph with the jackplate low and trimmed low with no porpoising. But if I forget to trim it down and lower the jackplate down some it will porpoise. But I agree driving the boat should not be that complicated...lol. hopefully the factory will have some solutions.

9. Member
    That is odd.. I would start with the jackplate. Ask them to test it with a 6" hydraulic jackplate. Mine will run at 30mph with the jackplate low and trimmed low with no porpoising. But if I forget to trim it down and lower the jackplate down some it will porpoise. But I agree driving the boat should not be that complicated...lol. hopefully the factory will have some solutions.
    It has been at the factory for almost three weeks now. I have been told a number of things. Nothing about the Jackplate. Apparently, There were some spots on the hull that needed sanding? There was a vague explanation of some set up issues. Also, The dealer failed to include the prop with the boat which was sent to me almost 10 months ago. So there was that delay. The Factory has finally received the prop. I received a call from my dealer telling me that (after the factory received the prop) he was told that the boat was suspended in the air so that they could fiberglass in a couple of wedges. All of this is a little confusing. I tried the prop they sent me on two separate occasions and it performed worse. So bad that i couldn't even get on plane. So. I have been guaranteed 100% that I will not have any porpoising issues. It has been a solid year that this boat has not been able to perform properly. I am mad at myself for not being more forceful throughout this process. I should have had results so much sooner than this. All I can do is wait.

10. Member
    I got my boat back from skeeter the other day. They left the original prop on it, the same jackplate, left the wedges and glassed in some wedges to the underside of the hull. The only thing about it is the hole shot is still lacking. Otherwise, i can run at 20 and no porpoise. Josh at skeeter said he would fix it. He did not disappoint. Crazy thing is.... it really wasn't my driving ability. imagine that! hahaha!

11. Member
    Glad they got you fixed. Crazy thing is they obviously know there is a porpoising issue with is model if they have a fix. I wonder if they changed all the new hulls.

12. Member
    I'm not sure about that. I do know that they are no longer rigging the zx190 with a 175. only a 150.