1995 Johnson Venom 200 insanely slow reverse

Hey guys,

Sorry I don't have the serial number off hand. I'm just curious as to why my outboard is all the sudden incredibly slow in reverse. It shifts fine into every gear, the RPM's are there, and when the motor is on muffs in the driveway it spins fine. However, it just doesn't have reverse like it used to, and this causes some trouble when approaching docks or managing a congested pre-blast off. Any idea on what to check? I've tried different props and it is definitely not the case. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Member
    Does it make a ratcheting sound when you try to engage reverse or what ?

3. Member
    Check the roller on the carb linkage that opens the carbs, it should have a clear or yellowing sleeve over a smaller black roller. The sleeve cracks and falls off, it needs to be there. I think this is correct for your motor, model number helps, not the serial number.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 01-31-2018 at 09:02 PM.

4. Member
    It does not. Everything seems to be fine outside of the actually boat movement. Just a ton of exhaust turbulence behind the boat and a very slow reverse. I haven't had the boat in the water for some time, as I'm just going off of when I troubleshot prior to the last season. I used to be able to power in reverse and flood the splash well if I gave it too much throttle. The only changing variable from then and now is that the carbs were rebuilt, but like I said, the RPM's SEEM to be fine. I believe they can reach up to over 2200-2400 in wide open reverse. I'll have to check the carb linkage that you mentioned, and let you know. Maybe I'm mistaken but 2200-2400 rpm in reverse is about all I should be getting right? I don't recall the RPM it achieved prior to me noticing the issue, the sound of the engine is all I was able to use as comparison. Thanks for the responses.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Pull the prop off, pull the rear bearing carrier and you can remove reverse gear easily with a magnet. Just keep the orientation of the thrust washer and thrust bearing correct. You can then inspect the gear itself.

6. Member
    That's plenty of RPM for reverse. The carb roller must be OK.

7. Member
    O.K., this sounds more like an engine power output situation. Was the link & sync set back to specs after the carb rebuilds ?