2018 Skeeter ZX 225

I'm getting ready to buy a new boat. I'm coming out of a 2003 Triton tr21 with a 250 Yamaha that is a true 70s boat loaded. How is the performance of the zx 225. What are realistic speeds y'all are getting. Should I look more at the zx 250 if skeeter is the boat? And what about the SHO. I've never had a 4 stroke and I love the sound and smell of a 2 stroke. One of the other boats I'm looking at is the nitro z20 only because it has the pro xs. Just looking for honest opinions.

2. Member
    I have a ZX 225 17 model. 65 mph stock is all I can get. I ain't spending a bunch of money to get 5 more mph. Only other beef I have is some porposing when cruising. Probably need to learn how to drive it. Ha Ha!

3. Member
    Oh forgot to mention there are some on here that will say they get 80 mph.

4. Member
    So true last year i ran a ZX225 nice boat i played a lot with the Jack Plate Lookout hit it on the head. Will run better under certain conditions. Dis see 73.8 Light Load wind at back everything right. mid Sixties all the time. Was a fun boat to drive was glued to the water. As far as the SHO goes I Ran mercury from 1984 till 2011 in 2012 i got my first SHO i loved it never had a problem then in 2013and 2014 had a mercury than went back to the SHO and i will not go Back. Now own a ZX250 and really seem to like it. There are pros and Cons to every boat ran a ranger all the years except the last two and i really like the Skeeter.

5. Member
    I believe the zx250 will carry a load better than the 225. You can get a 225 to run 70 loaded down, but it will take some work.

6. Member
    The hole shot on both Boats are awesome. i believe Randy T is right

7. Member
    i have a stock 2018 zx250 and have hit 75 in ideal conditions twice in the few months i have owned it. that was before the ultrex was installed so i will try again to duplicate. i never run more than 1/2 tank of gas, light on tackle and i weigh around 165lbs. and honestly both times the water was slick with barely any wind.

8. Member
    I have 2 power poles, 31 series batteries the Ultrex and with 2 guys I can hit 70 in my 2015 zx250. I do run a light fuel load however.

9. Member
    So another question about this model, what is the capacity for people and gear? 4 people? 5 people?

How about the ZX250?

10. Member
    if speed and storage is what ye seek, look at basscat if you have the coin

I don't know what yall are doing, but my ZX225 runs 70mph loaded. My tournament partner is 350lbs. They don't call him "Big" Mike for nothing. Running solo, I get 75+ anytime, anywhere.

Like Randy said, it does take a little work. To get those numbers, I had to buy a hydro jackplate.

My personal best is 76.8mph with a worked Tempest. I think Randy still holds the record (77-78?) with a T-1.
    Last edited by utinator; 01-31-2018 at 05:45 PM.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

74 in the zx250 with a full load ain't bad... Right now with the T-2 I'm running 73 and up against the limiter with pedal left in this cold water...I didn't do that with the T-1.. And I haven't touched this T-2... It's straight out of the box...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

13. Member
    My 2016 zx225 ran 72+ in team tournaments, and my alone best was 76 with 74 to 75 common. That's with my tournament gear, but I'm not a tackle hoarder. I have a 18 on order, hopefully I can get the same numbers.

14. Member
    I purchased a 2016 ZX225 new in 16...and love it! I had never owned a 4 stroke before this either. The SHO is literally a beast! It is very fuel efficient also. The hole shot is off the chart with almost no bow-rise...about three seconds loaded down with fuel and gear. It handles like a sports car tight in the turns with no wash out...I can make a direct u turn at 60 mph without letting off the gas. It handles boat wakes like they are nothing. I added a second power pole and the NEMA system along with the passenger console and a hydro jacker when I purchased it..all installed by my dealer. I get right at 70 mph with the stock prop loaded full of gear and fuel...I would imagine that with some tweaking and a light load it could hit 74 or so...I like my gear and also like to leave with a full tank of gas..70 is good enough for me...

15. Member
    16 zx225 with a Atlas plate and factory prop. Hit 74 a few times, always does 70 and that’s all at full load. I’ve hit in rough water 66 with 3 guys fully loaded. The SHO HANDLES loads really well and the hole shot is incredible. If you buy a Nitro you are crazy, worse bass boat around. Cheap! Skeeter ride is unreal 70 with no hands, doesn’t walk , unreal!!! Nitro has a wider deck that’s the only plus