Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need input of 20 PHX _ Updated

I'm buying an new boat within the next week. I've narrowed it down to the 920 or the 20PHX. Both boats run about the same in price the way I want to equip them. There is plenty to read here on the 920's. I'm looking for someone that owns the 20PHX that can give me they thoughts on the boat. The 920 will have a Merc on it while the 20 PHX will have the SHO 250. Looking for comparison between the two in speed, ride, and drivability.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by falconpilot; 02-15-2018 at 01:37 PM.

2. Member
    I believe the 20phx is a new model this year, you might have trouble finding many people that own one yet. If the same holds true between the 921 and 21phx hold true. The phx will have a slightly better ride, speed will be 1-2 mph slower. They both have an awesome ride. The phx is a slightly deeper gunwale, better for big water, they also have different layouts, the phx has bigger dash that can hold a 12 inch monitor flush mounted.

The PHX will have slam latches (2018 models) and a single large front tackle compartment. The 920 has two front tackle compartments and regular latches. PHX is a deeper hull with longer strakes for better dryer ride in rough water, also has turning strakes and because its deeper hull there is more volume in the storage compartments. Both great riding and driving hulls.

For me the motor would seal the deal - I'm guessing you've never owned an SHO. If you drive both that will make the decision very easy.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

4. Member
    I have a 920 and love it....but given your options, I'd go PHX because you're wanting a SHO on the back. Hopefully you're looking at one that's already built and on the lot as it would take awhile to get one ordered. I absolutely love this 4 stroke.

^haha, we were typing at the same time apparently

5. Smallmouth Junkie!
    PHX with the SHO for sure. For same or near the same $ it's a no brainier.
    Last edited by MichPhoenix77; 01-31-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    20 PHX /SHO , I would like to own one in the near future
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

7. Member
    Sho/phx all the way.

Just ordered a 20 phx with 250 verado last week. I debated back and forth and didn't take long to make the decision of the phx. That phx/sho combo would be bad to the bone!!!!! Good luck with your decision! After seeing one on the showroom floor I wanted to hook it up and drag it home.

9. Member
    I want a 20 phx just waiting to see of Mercury comes out with new four strokes next month at Miami.

10. Member
    I'm sending you a PM

11. Banned
    I have a 2016 920 and would have liked the SHO over the Mercury but since there are no Yamaha mechanics near me, I chose the Mercury for that reason. Just something to consider.

12. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Either boat is great. Layout preferences would be deciding factor, since both are good in big water, PHX being better.
    Good luck getting a sho. Last I heard, they're like 9-10 months behind on production. If you see one in showroom, I would grab it.

13. Member
    And with the sho these dealers are going to jack up the prices I bet
    Shimano and Gloomis kick @ss, 17 Phoenix 919 225 Merc

14. Member
    Guys,

Thanks for all the help! Dealer has both boat setting side by side. I'm going today to look and compare each to the other. For those that own the 20 PHX/SHO, is it as fast as 920/250 Merc without being flashed?

Thanks again for your input!

Jim

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by falconpilot View Post
    Guys,

Thanks for all the help! Dealer has both boat setting side by side. I'm going today to look and compare each to the other. For those that own the 20 PHX/SHO, is it as fast as 920/250 Merc without being flashed?

Thanks again for your input!

Jim
    Once again, I don't own the PHX, but the simple answer is no, the Merc is faster. Realistic answer is, it depends. The SHO has almost no holeshot if propped and set up right- my bow hardly raises at all and it's similar to being shot out of a slingshot. Top speed on these rigs is finicky with things like weight and balance in addition to prop/setup. I run a SUPER heavy tournament set up with half of BPS in the boat, full tank, two guys, etc and I don't have any problem passing a bunch of folks going to my spot. But I've never had a 920/Merc right in front of or behind me either. The top speed should be within a couple of mph of each other.......and I'd give up a bit more to own this SHO if I had to do so.

I would say so close in speed that difference between the Merc/SHO would be setup dependent. As time goes on if you look at the high performance boards the consensus seems to be that the slight top end gain of the Merc isn't always the case - they are very close and many of the go fast guys see slightly better speeds with the SHO. As mentioned above holeshot and midrange punch the SHO is a real hammer. Also if you do decide to flash and re-prop the SHO you should be able to add another 5mph without raising the rev limiter.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

17. Member
    The phx should run close to the same top end as the pro xp but there aren't enough out there yet to know for sure. The sho has historically been slightly slower than the merc but it runs off and leaves the merc from holeshot to top end and there are several guys that can't get their 18' mercs to turn the same prop they ran last year on the same hulls.
    I'd gladly give up a couple mph on top for great performance through the rest of the powerband where I'll be 90% of the time. I ran a fury 4 on my 518c with a pro xs for holeshot and midrange and my 721/sho is just as quick

18. Member
    Left dealership a bit ago..after spending several hours comparing boats, I kept coming back to the 20PHX layout with the SHO for power. Ultrex with I-link, Solix 15 and 12, 12" atlas jack, hamby, trick steps...can't wait to pick it up a Saturday!
    Last edited by falconpilot; 01-31-2018 at 06:23 PM.

19. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Left dealership a bit ago..after spending several hours comparing boats, I kept coming back to the 20PHX layout with the SHO for power. Ultrex with I-link, Solix 15 and 12, 12" atlas jack, hamby, trick steps...can't wait to pick it up a Saturday!
    That is one sweet setup my friend enjoy
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

20. Member
    Congrats. You will not regret it. Sweet rig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast