Best color Rattle trap for the N.E.

Watching Zona yesterday has got me all fired up to throw traps again this spring.I had gotten away from them the past few years. What colors other than red craw would you recommend throwing up here in the Northeast when water temps hit 45-50deg and clear to slightly stained? I like the SK Red Eye & Original Rattle Traps.

2. Member
    its not just about colors. I've found sound can be a key difference and even color at times depending on the fishery. I've seen Red ones out fished by Sexy Shad. I've seen 1/4 ounce outfish a 1/2 ounce as it was easier to keep on top of the grass......Once I had one that rattled so loud, you could hear it 15 feet from the boat. It
    was the only one we could get bit on that day and boy did it get bit.......just let them tell you what they want :) I'll change every 10 casts at times to fine tune it till I get bit.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

3. Member
    I really like the royal shad pattern when fishing in slightly stained water. For clear water I like the live target shiner in silver.

4. Member
    I don't fish up there , as I'm from the PNW, but one color that seems to work at just about every body of water I fish at is a gold rattle trap. I don't know why, it can look like a squawfish, maybe a bluegill. Who knows. But it works in clear and stained water. As mentioned , sometimes color isn't the most Important part, alot of times I think it's the action and what the fish are doing that are more important .

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalliehunter91 View Post
    I don't fish up there , as I'm from the PNW, but one color that seems to work at just about every body of water I fish at is a gold rattle trap. I don't know why, it can look like a squawfish, maybe a bluegill. Who knows. But it works in clear and stained water. As mentioned , sometimes color isn't the most Important part, alot of times I think it's the action and what the fish are doing that are more important .
    This!

I am a fan of 3 main colors Crawfish/Red, Shad, and Silver. It just seems like for the majority of conditions these 3 seem to put fish in the boat.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalliehunter91 View Post
    I have had some good luck with this color fishing the rivers around here for smallies.I will put a few black stripes on them with a marker to imitate a yellow perch.

I try switching up colors but usually end up throwing either gold or chrome with a blue back.
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    its not just about colors. I've found sound can be a key difference and even color at times depending on the fishery. I've seen Red ones out fished by Sexy Shad. I've seen 1/4 ounce outfish a 1/2 ounce as it was easier to keep on top of the grass......Once I had one that rattled so loud, you could hear it 15 feet from the boat. It
    was the only one we could get bit on that day and boy did it get bit.......just let them tell you what they want :) I'll change every 10 casts at times to fine tune it till I get bit.
    Buy this guy a beer, he nailed it That sums it up beautifully.

I carry 3/16 Cotton Cordells from Wally world on up to 3/4 oz XCaliburs and Booyahs and everything in between. Colors have ALWAYS been my last consideration, action and noise is where it's at. Have a mix of rattlers and one knockers with you at all times.

I'll add use a glass or a glass/graphite cranking rod. Your hookup percentage will go through the roof.
    Ranting incoherently

Traps catch a lot of fish where I live. And I’ll fish them when I can bring myself to put down the Echo 1.75 long enough. That is just plain one fish catching squarebill. Silverado for the 1.75. Smokey Joe, Tennessee Shad, Silver Tenn. Shad, or Red Craw in a Trap.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

11. Member
    Strike King Red Eye Shad in orange belly craw

I pretty much only throw Red Eye Shad and my two faves here in Northern IN/Southern MI are Gold Black back and Baby Carp...I do catch them on red early in the spring. I also keep some bluegill and perch patterns in the boat for clear water, and chartreuse perch for more stained. Although the gold black back is pretty great all round...
    2019 Bass Cat Caracal, Mercury 225 Pro XS 4 stroke

For Northern IN/Southern MI action and BCB love, follow me on instagram: @professorbeard

13. Member
    I typically run 3 colors and try not to get too fancy.

Blue/Chrome or Black/Chrome for Sunny Days
    Gold for Cloudy Days

Seems like it works everywhere I go in the NE.
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

14. Member
    Thanks all. Just picked up a Red Eye Shad, gold/blk back. Can't believe I didn't already have one in my box.