1992 Fast Strike 150 GLENC Water Pressure Gauge

My water pressure gauge stopped working last time I was on the water. I checked what I believe to be the hose that comes out of the block and it is connected but I don't have a repair manual for this one. Does anyone on here have a repair manual for this motor? I am specifically looking for the section about the water pressure gauge/system. Any suggestions on next troubleshooting steps would be helpful also.

WP gauges are notorious for freezing and stop working. I installed a drain so I do not have water in my gauge to freeze and break the gauge. With the recent cold snap we had I bet your gauge froze if it had water in it. I would try a new gauge and while I had the dash apart I would install a drain...I cut my line about 2-3" from where it goes into the gauge. Then I installed a T. On the bottom of the T I ran a hose straight down to the floorboard and put a plug in the other end. In cold weather when I load my boat and I am done for the day I remove the plug and what water that is in the gauge drains onto my floorboard. I leave the plug out until I get home and then I reinstall the plug. It does not make a mess because it's only a ounce or two of water. If you forget to put the plug back in you will instantly know it the next time you start your motor because water will shoot out of the hose onto your feet.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    There is no section for the water pressure gauge. More than likely the gauge froze from the cold you had up there last week. Do as Gene suggested and insert a T in line. The gauge will need to be replaced.

4. Member
    Thank you. Will look for a new gauge and install the drain.

5. Member
    ChampioNman, any advice on finding a gauge online? Have thought about taking the gauge off and checking for a part number but I will be taking the boat out before I can get a new gauge and want to minimize the amount of times I take my dash screws out.

faria was a popular gauge on 90's model boats. Yours probably has one similar to this...https://www.amazon.com/Faria-CORAL-O...pressure+gauge

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Teleflex was also a popular choice of many manufacturers. Take a picture of the gauge and post it up here and we should be able to help.

8. Member
    Here is a picture of the gauge. Not sure why it is rotated to the side. I found a Sierra kit for around $50 that looks almost identical except the gauge goes up to 40psi instead of 30. Do I need to find one that only goes up to 30 or will having one with a different PSI range be okay?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kwasham; 02-02-2018 at 08:51 AM.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    40 is fine.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    40 is fine.
    Thanks again. Gauge will be installed in the next few days.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't forget the T so you can drain it.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    WP gauges are notorious for freezing and stop working. I installed a drain so I do not have water in my gauge to freeze and break the gauge. With the recent cold snap we had I bet your gauge froze if it had water in it. I would try a new gauge and while I had the dash apart I would install a drain...I cut my line about 2-3" from where it goes into the gauge. Then I installed a T. On the bottom of the T I ran a hose straight down to the floorboard and put a plug in the other end. In cold weather when I load my boat and I am done for the day I remove the plug and what water that is in the gauge drains onto my floorboard. I leave the plug out until I get home and then I reinstall the plug. It does not make a mess because it's only a ounce or two of water. If you forget to put the plug back in you will instantly know it the next time you start your motor because water will shoot out of the hose onto your feet.
    Is the T and plug for the line something that I can get from the hardware store or should I order something that is specifically designed for this application?

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You can go to a hardware store, or an auto parts store, and get a T or go to a pet store and get a T fitting for an aquarium. the straight thru goes inline with the hose and the T faces down. Add a small section of hose to the fitting. Some folks just plug the drain side with a golf T.

14. Member
    The kit came in today and I went ahead and removed the old gauge and got the wiring ready to accept the bulb for the new gauge. The kit came with brass connectors and a plastic connector but the plastic connector is too big for the tubing in the kit. The kit came with new tubing but I am going to use the existing tubing as it is zip tied to all of my wiring and I would rather not mess with that unless I find that the existing tubing is damaged. Only unusual part that I see is that there is a 90 degree brass fitting instead of two straight fittings. Going to finish the install this week.

15. Member
    After looking at the diagrams again I believe that the brass connectors are not made to be the T for the drain tube. Am I correct in thinking this? Also, the bulb that was on the old WP gauge was wired in and the new one has two tabs. I have the female connectors to connect to the tabs. I don't see a (+) and (-) on the tabs.

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    the Kit is more than likely a universal kit so it has multiple fittings. If you don't T it then you'll have to remove the hose from the back of the gauge in sub freezing weather. Go to an auto parts store and go to the HELP display and look for a small T they come two to a pack.

17. Member
    Finished up the install tonight. Found a black Tee at NAPA that fit good and found a custom golf Tee to plug my drain tube. Cranked up the Fast Strike and the gauge appears to work as it should. Water pressure at idle on the hose read just under 5psi. Does that sound about right for idle water pressure on the hose?

18. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Looks great

The golf T will work. PM me your mailing address and I will send you something (free of charge) that is a little easier to remove/install than a golf T. Also wanted to note do not throw away your old gauge...http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=874817

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Looks great

The golf T will work. PM me your mailing address and I will send you something (free of charge) that is a little easier to remove/install than a golf T. Also wanted to note do not throw away your old gauge...http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=874817

Really appreciate the help with the install, glad that I have the option to drain the line now. I am going to try to fix the old gauge like that thread shows when I get done with current projects. I will send you a PM regarding the tube plug.

Nice job Kwasham......gotta love the BBC!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike