Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Question Smoking whole chicken....stand up or lay down???

If you smoke a hole chicken, do you lay it down or stand it up???

Have the Masterbuilt Electric smoker...plenty of room but just wondering.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    I always spatchcock my whole chickens for smoking.

Last two I did, I stood them up on my beer can chicken cooker, sans beer. Turned out really good.
    Interesting article on amazingribs.com about beer can chicken cooking. They recommend standing up as a superior cooking method, but save the beer for drinking. I'm down with that.

Lay it down
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

5. Member
    I like both ways. Love the chicken stands to get the smoke up in those puppies.

I used my Masterbuilt unit (with the glass door) till I burned up the heating element, and would lay them down in it. For my daughters wedding in 2013 she said she wanted me to cook. Started prepping pork butts and chickens on Wed morning. Cooked 4 pork butts, and 6 chickens. Put the first of them on Thursday morning. Pulled the last of them off (the chickens) around 5:00am Saturday morning. The wedding was at 11:00!

Use a pellet smoker now, or the big honking stainless grill as an offset smoker, OR.... the Kamado Joe.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

6. Banned
    I've always had better success at high temp and spatched. Skin and moistness was better. Don't hate because of that word haha.

7. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Have done both. Stand up with low heat (225-250) and also spatchcock on high temp (300-325). Both are good. The high temp method is so much faster, that I have been doing that more lately.

8. Member
    If you are actually smoking them you will not really see a difference no matter how they are oriented as long as your airflow is good. If you have one side of your smoker hotter than the other like many offset designs I would be sure to rotate the birds to cook them evenly if you are cooking several at a time.

Personally I don’t like too much smoke on poultry, I prefer cooking around 325-350. Natural lump charcoal gives me enough smoke flavor.
    2002 Ranger 520 DVX / 2002 225hp Optimax

10. Member
    I have done them both ways in my master built. Can’t tell 2 cents worth of difference. Do mine at 225 and only one tube of chips.