Good casting rod for beginners?

Just want a good spinning rod to cast 1/16 jigs. Was looking at the B&M Sam Heaton 7 foot spinning.

Also what size spinning reel? I normally use 2500 for bass but figure that be too much?

2. Member
    6'6" St Croix ultra lite premier series with a 6520 Pfluger reel. Should be able to get both on sale for around 150.00 For less money on the rod Dicks house brand is an excellent choice also. Some people prefer the larger size reels in 1000 or 1500 series reels of most brands. Casting 1/16 oz jigs does not require a huge reel as you are only going to get so much distance that light. I have some 500 series reels that will cast 1/16 oz further than i need too.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    6'6" St Croix ultra lite premier series with a 6520 Pfluger reel. Should be able to get both on sale for around 150.00 For less money on the rod Dicks house brand is an excellent choice also. Some people prefer the larger size reels in 1000 or 1500 series reels of most brands. Casting 1/16 oz jigs does not require a huge reel as you are only going to get so much distance that light. I have some 500 series reels that will cast 1/16 oz further than i need too.
    Excellent suggestion.

I like a tad stiffer rod with a little more backbone. St Croix Triumph 7' ML. I like 500 series Shimano's, but they are getting hard to find.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

4. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I can’t recommend the okuma celilo Rods enough! I’m no expert but far from a beginner and I have several of the rods and love them. Any of them can be had for under $30 and the sensitivity is on par with both my falcons.

5. Member
    I would think the SHSS in 7' would be a good choice, as the others mentioned would also be. I normally do not go 'high-end' for my crappie rods, or reels. The Okuma is nice, also some of the BPS micro-lites of which I use several. However, I prefer the performance of the 6' well ahead of the 7's, so I may look elsewhere for my longer rods, too. For reels, I go against the grain somewhat in that I much prefer a large spool for line management. Casting distance can be impacted by rod length, rod action (not necessarily power), reel size and line type and size. Weigh all the factors and then go to the store and put a rod and reel together to find what 'feels good', balances well, etc. Get that one.

6. Member
    I cast a 1/16 all day with a 6'6" ML Berkley lightning rod, Abu Garcia Promax spinning reel size 5, and 6 # stren hi visit gold mono. The lightning rod is about 4 years old and has hled up well, I had a abu cardinal stx10 on it before and the 10 size cast just as well as the 5 Promax I have now. I also cast with a 7' Medium Diawa Heartland with the same reel and line and really like both. I have a new 5'3" ultra light lightning rod that I think is a little too soft for casting crappie and yanking them out of the brush before they tangle you up. Really wanna try the new lightning rod in a 6' or 7' ML. These setups might run you abut $100 for rod and reel.