Titan 10.5 vs Hobie PA12

Hi all,

with the tax return money I am planning to buy my first fishing kayak. I have test driven the PA 12 and the Outback so far and I am leaning more towards the PA12 since it was far more stable for me (the Outback also felt a bit cheap, it felt like it was bending when I paddled it hard, also in the end it is 'just' 20 pounds heavier than the PA12). I would like to test drive the Titan 10.5 but I am not sure if there is a dealer in my area (Marin County, CA) where this would be possible.

I am 6'3. 210 pounds and I love to sight fish. I would be using the kayak 60% on lakes and 40% inshore. I need to carry the kayak on my Honda Civic (Thule 480 R roof rack + going to buy something like a Rhino Rack T-Load Hitch Mount). I have to store the kayak outside.

Per outing I would like to carry a minimum of 6 rods with me and a couple of tackle boxes. Standing is important to me since I want to be able to pitch and flip.

Anybody that had to make the same decision between these options. What are the cons and pros in your opinion?

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Seb.

2. Member
    I have not tried the Titan yet, but the rod storage in the yak award goes to the PA. It only has 4 tubes but with rod covers you could easily double up and safely transport them w/o attempting to fit in the civic.
    The front hatch is nicer in the PA as well and I think you will enjoy the extra length difference. But with that being said - there is no perfect yak for everyone and wisely you should test drive both before making this big decision.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bksnaz View Post
    I have not tried the Titan yet, but the rod storage in the yak award goes to the PA. It only has 4 tubes but with rod covers you could easily double up and safely transport them w/o attempting to fit in the civic.
    The front hatch is nicer in the PA as well and I think you will enjoy the extra length difference. But with that being said - there is no perfect yak for everyone and wisely you should test drive both before making this big decision.
    Thanks for your comment. Yeah, it is a big decision and there is not a clear winner yet. I have to test drive the Titan as well to get a better picture.

Wow, I had not heard of the Titan before. That really looks fun and stable. How much does it weigh?
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    Wow, I had not heard of the Titan before. That really looks fun and stable. How much does it weigh?

Look under specs here: https://nativewatercraft.com/product/titan-propel-10-5/

Native makes some nice stuff. 97lbs, but super wide. Your Honda isn't very tall so you could prolly get it up there if you chose that one. I have a 1991 CRX that I would like to haul my Perception on sometime just for a hoot. That would be some cheap fishing since it gets 50mpg.
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

7. Member
    Lol, pretty sure the Outback wasn't bending and is not heavier than a PA 12. It's possibly Hobies most versatile boat.

That being said, your intended use puts you in a 12, or 14 if you could swing it simply for the 6 rod storage. Get you some beach wheels and Boonedox to make life easier.

The price point is drastically different between a PA12 and Native 10.5 if using both new. I've never been a fan of the bicycle motion personally.

I've also had an outback 3 miles offshore and it was great. You can't go wrong in any Hobie choice.

Put my hands on a Titan 10.5 yesterday. Man that thing is nice and sooo much room. It was rigged up to have additional horizontal rod storage and lots of extra room on the side of the YakAttack black pack too. Looks super stable with that wide back end.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

9. Member
    There are a lot of kayak fishermen around here. I see more Native pedal drives on the water than any other brand. The Old Town Predator PDL is another popular boat, and one I personally would look at. You don’t see many Hobies on the water here, I’ve never seen a Pro Angler ourside a kayak shop.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

I'm seriously looking at the Old Town Predator. I want the pedals AND the Minn Kota. Pedal small lakes, motor big lakes. Sounds awesome. One more year in the Pro 120 and then maybe pull the trigger on the Predator.
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    I'm seriously looking at the Old Town Predator. I want the pedals AND the Minn Kota. Pedal small lakes, motor big lakes. Sounds awesome. One more year in the Pro 120 and then maybe pull the trigger on the Predator.
    Exactly my thinking and why I picked up this for my Slayer 10. I haven't used it yet but will soon. I still have to find the right battery and register it w/ the state.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...-Mount-14.html
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Newport-V...Motor/46854809

Wow, great idea KellyJoe!
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat