Rod Building dizzyness

I've been thinking about it for a long time but every time I go to looking at the different blank options I go blind and confused from the endless options.
    Like some of the posts I've been reading, I need to hold it to know if I like or want it.
    Roger Ross
    Piedmont Mo.
    Bass Cat / Yamaha

2. Member
    Go to this http://www.icrbe.com/home.html and you will be able to touch and feel a lot of different blanks. A few of blank manufactures also sell completed rods, such as St. Croix and Phenix.

Dig through mudhole.com. My suggestion for a new guy is buy a kit. You get the pieces you need without having your head explode. You'll be able to decide if you like it. It's not hard but takes patience and a little practice.

I've built a few, repaired and rebuilt more but it's been a couple years. I have a couple I need to work on so I got the Mudhole catalog. Holy chit! NiTrz XYZ Sodium Oxide Teflon coated with titanium rings. Everything was the newest, bestest, superiorest, advanced technology and that was just the reel seat. I understand your confusion.

4. Member
    If you're a guy who gets into all of the technical "metrics" of a rod, there is a spreadsheet that someone posted a link to here a while back that lists all of the various measurements...or you can do it the way I've done it and just buy a shit ton of blanks. I've probably bought 50 or 60 different models over the years from different manufacturers, I know I've build on the following...Shikari, Seeker, Loomis (way back when they actually sold them), St. Croix, Rainshadow, MHX, Phenix, Hydra, Rod Geeks, Liberty, Cousins, Point Blank, NFC, Lamiglass, American Tackle, Castaway and Graphite USA.

From there, for the most part I've narrowed it down to 6 or 7 that I prefer for different techniques. Most of the time once I get a blank and play with it a little, I can tell what it'll be good for (for me anyway). All of the others that I don't prefer get built and sold cheap (like my cost + $50). I think almost every guy in my club, their brothers, buddies, cousins, kids, neighbors has one or more of my rods. I also build specific blanks by request so I get to check some out that way. I think almost every time I do that I've already got a blank that I would use instead.

Here's a little list of the blanks I like best for certain things...best is a combination of value and performance for me.

Flippin - 1st Hydra NG FL5, 2nd Liberty FS764 (cost conscious option)
    Pitchin - 1st Hydra NG FL4, 2nd NCF HM-MB706 (if it's 50% off, get it)
    Dropshot - 1st Point Blank PB691MLXF, 2nd NFC IM-DS761 (if you use braid get the IM, if you use straight flouro the HM, again if on sale get one). The St. Croix SCV M or ML XF is a great one too, but I've dropped it for the Point Blank.
    Crankbait - 1a Rod Geeks SG70MHM, 1b Seeker BS-706 (tie for me, I like them both) I'm a diehard glass guy for cranks though
    Tubes - I fish a lot of exposed hook tubes on Lake Michigan, best one I've found is a Phenix PH764-MH built as a spinning rod, thanks to the guys at Phenix on that recommendation
    Moving baits (swim jig, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, scroungers, little paddletails) - 1st Hydra Enox blank 3 or 4 power depending on cover, you've got to call Alex about this one it's not on the Hydra site for sale
    All purpose spinning - Rod Geeks B473MHXS...I think you could get by with this as your only spinning rod if needed. I always have one in the boat (DS, shakey head, tubes whatever)
    All purpose casting - This is a tossup between almost every 3 power blank...most of the time I'm going with a Hydra NG MB3, a Rod Geeks B470MHF or a Liberty MB762.5

I also think that the best value line-up, meaning you've got someone who wants a custom but doesn't want to spend a ton of money, is Liberty. I've never been disappointed by one that I've built and especially like the ones that come in fractional power 762.5, 733.75 etc. The MB 762.5 is actually a great tube rod as well.

Hope that helps a little, probably not but maybe. I also don't care for kits myself but I suppose it could be a good place to start if you haven't built anything.

5. Member

6. Member
    Appreciate all the info, still some confused but at least a good starting point. sounds like I just need to jump in and get started so I can build a little experience .
    With the exception of the actual rod, are you happy with the turn key kits to get started with?
    Thanks
    Roger Ross
    Piedmont Mo.
    Bass Cat / Yamaha

7. Member
    What kind of a rod do you want for your first one? Spinning, Casting, Heavy, Medium, or light? What is your budget on your first rod for the blank, reel seat, guides? I assume you already have a wrapper, some finish, rod bond, a few tools, and your thread choices.

8. Member
    The more you build, the more comfortable you will be in deciphering the stats on the blanks. Dont get me wrong, i would love to be able to feel every blank before i build. But between forums and other builders...youll get it figured. Build on a basic 7' or 7'3 mh-f blank your first rod, something versatile, and go from there.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

9. Member
    I'd ask why you want to build rods? Is it that you want to build better than factory, or do you just want to build a rod that you could just as easy pick up off the shelf? If you are looking to build a rod that you could pick up off the shelf, then a kit isn't a bad idea, I guess. But if you want to build better, then I wouldn't go the kit route. Choosing components for a rod isn't that difficult. If you have questions just ask here, or (and I would suggest doing this) join Rodbuilding.org. Plenty of information available on Rodbuilding.org using the search function. Or just ask a question and you'll get plenty of suggestions and help with any questions you may have.

I'm still pretty new to rod building so I haven't built on a lot of different manufacturers blanks. With that said Rainshadow blanks are outstanding blanks. They would definitely be one of the manufacturers I would look at. As far as what blank to choose. Look at the same things you'd look at when buying a rod off the shelf. As you can see from Wils list, there are a lot of great blanks out there, and they all pretty much behave (flex wise and power wise) like what you would expect from a factory rod with the same or similar specs.

The nice thing about rod building is that you can do what Wil did and build a casting blank as a spinning blank, or vice verse. The blank doesn't know what you're using it for and you can really tailor a rod to specific needs.

10. Member
    Here's the kit I'd recommend starting with

http://www.getbitoutdoors.com/gbsu-wddr-cast.html

For $180 you get everything you'd need to build a rod except for thread. Wrapper, dryer, tools, epoxies/tip glue, blank, guides, seat, reamers...you'll have all your equipment, from there on out all you'll ever need to buy is consumables (thread, epoxy etc) and components. You can build or replace guides on any rod.

If you check often on GetBit or Mudhole for specials and/or discontinued blanks you can easily build a really nice rod from the ground up for under $100 once you have all of your equipment. I've gotten some great blanks in the past for $20 or $30. GetBit runs specials pretty often with free shipping if you spend a certain amount (like $149).

11. Member
    To build your first rod just pick an MB843 blank from pretty much any reputable brand. This deciphers to a Mag Bass or fast action, 7 foot long, medium heavy power. Build it and you can use it quite effectively on probably half of the things we do bass fishing, most manufacturers will tell you this is their number one selling blank. Take what you learn and go from there on the next one knowing what you would like different from the first one.

12. Member
    I've been away from the computer for a while.
    Mostly just wanting to build 1 for myself and need to repair a few guides on some I have. Just was thinking I should probably start with a cheaper 1 first as a learning process if it doesn't turn out as good as 1 would like.
    Thanks for all the info ,
    Roger Ross
    Piedmont Mo.
    Bass Cat / Yamaha

13. Member
    Roger, you could also sort through your current arsenal and pick out a rod to rebuild. Nothing like taking one apart to get a feel how to build one. If you have some older ones, you could salvage the guides, blanks, and reel seats. You can sometimes find some good rods at the Salvation Army stores and garage sales and save some big money on guides and other parts.

14. Member
    Thanks DOC , hadn't thought of that.
    Roger Ross
    Piedmont Mo.
    Bass Cat / Yamaha